Is there really any money in this scam? How do the Final Notice senders make a buck? Their envelope might fool some people into thinking it's an official notice.
So they open it in a panic. Or out of curiosity, like I did. Since we have no loans to be finally notified about, I do not feel the urge to call about this urgent matter regarding our property.
The letter itself might lead people to think they are in danger of losing their property, rather than just on the hook for repairs. I even had to ask Farmer H: "What in the Not-Heaven is a Home Warranty?" He said it's like a policy for repairs, in case something goes wrong. I could imagine this for a vehicle. I am not familiar with such a thing for homes. I guess that's because we didn't get a loan to buy a house.
I've cropped the first paragraph, because it listed our specific address.
I suppose this no-name company (oh, wait, there's an actual "business" name in the tiny print of the last sentence) can make money from people calling, then fast-talking them into buying "coverage" for their appliances.
It doesn't seem like an efficient scam to me.


Since we moved in here about 10 years ago now. (wow, time flies) We have gotten one of those letters every year. Some years we got 2. I do not understand why there is a need for this kind of thing when you have house insurance, and we can get appliance coverage via our natural gas company. Just another crooked racket. It seems once they get you on their mailing list, they never get the hint and go away. Probably 12 or more letters sent our way and wouldn't surprise me if they're getting one ready right now to pop in the mail. LOL Ranee (I'll let you know if they do.)
ReplyDeleteRae,
DeleteYes, people would already have warranties/insurance on their appliances. This is just to scare them into thinking their actual home is in danger! You will probably get another notice now, since your comment will be snooped by the innernets!
We didn't get a loan either. We sold the town house and paid off the mortgage on this house. Just thought I'd mention that. Ranee
ReplyDeleteRae 2,
DeleteWe had a small loan for building materials to build the Mansion in 1997. That was paid off over 20 years ago, so I know it's nothing to worry about now when I get these notices.
Sadly, there are people out there who don't properly understand paperwork and insurance matters and will likely contact these scammers and pay.
ReplyDeleteRiver,
DeleteYes. It should be a crime.
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember reading about some legislation passing that made it a crime (maybe in Minnesota?) My daughter was telling me that her mother-in-law falls for every scam out there and my son-in-law will scold his mother like a child and finally told her if she kept it up, he would be taking over her checkbook and her bills. They live on the same property and having met the woman, I have come to believe that she keeps doing it so he WILL take over. Making her not as dumb as we thought.
ReplyDeleteKathy,
DeleteHeh, heh! She's getting herself a free accountant!