On my way to pick up The Pony on Monday, for Pepper's collar training, I was quite dismayed to see Pepper running along behind T-Hoe. He usually goes halfway up the driveway with me, running in the grass where I can see him. That has only been going on for about two weeks. I honk the horn, or put down the window and say "PEPPER! NO!" Then Pepper stops.
This time, Pepper continued. No amount of stopping or NO-ing had an affect. In fact, Pepper gave me a look like, "What are you going to do about it?" Something I didn't want to see, but normal for an animal to try and figure out limits. I told The Pony this tale, and said, "I know this is wrong, but a part of me will not be upset for Pepper to get a little shock. He was being so INSOLENT! He needs to learn the consequences."
Indeed, the Halo 5 Collar could not have arrived at a better time. Farmer H said that a few days ago, he was over in the BARn field, and he saw Pepper chase a UPS truck along the gravel road. Farmer H hollered at him, and when he came back, Farmer H held him by the collar, and "whipped his butt." Just with a hand, of course, a couple swats on the hip.
"He didn't like that at all! He tried to run away, and pulled too hard against the collar, and started coughing and choking.
"He doesn't know what he did wrong! Because got his whoopin' when he CAME BACK. He probably doesn't associate it with chasing the truck."
"It's a good thing The Pony's getting the new collar ready, because we can't have him chasing cars."
AND when Farmer H and HOS left here on Sunday evening, after dropping off some stuff at the Freight Container Garage, Pepper chased them down the road, almost to the mailboxes. That's a mile!
"He wouldn't go back when we hollered at him. Usually he won't go no farther than the neighbor at the top of the hill. We finally got out and threw rocks at him, and he started back."
Obviously, this was the right time to get Pepper trained, since his roaming behavior was escalating. The Pony watched the training videos. Showed Farmer H right here in the kitchen. They went out with the collar and a baggie of cut-up hot dogs for treats. They were gone about 45 minutes, walking Pepper around the front yard/field and adjacent 10 acres. Showing the boundaries along the front and sides. Pepper got the warning sound when close. Then a small shock. Then the Level 6 (out of 15) shock when he kept going and wouldn't turn back.
"He twitched when it hit him. Let out a yelp. Then laid down and pawed at the collar with his front paws. He didn't like that much. He definitely felt it."
That shocking episode happened when they let Pepper off the leash, and came back for the lawnmower. Farmer H rode it along the BARn field, to see if Pepper would chase. He wasn't chasing, but ran across the road to the hill neighbor's field. That's when he got zapped, and came back.
None of us expected Pepper to be completely trained by this single session. He would have to learn some on his own, while unsupervised. And Farmer H could work with him some more in the evenings. He and The Pony said they thought Pepper was associating the hot dog treat with getting shocked, because toward the end, he wouldn't eat them.
Around 4:50, Farmer H left in SilverRedO to take The Pony home. They were curious if Pepper would try to chase them. I went on about my business. At 5:00, I was in the bathroom, and heard the kitchen door open. That couldn't be good! They should have been in town by then.
It was worse than I expected...
Oh no, I am on pins and needles waiting for the rest of the story! Toni was one to run and even got hit by a truck, but he still loved to run like the wind away from me. Not now that she is old, though. Some dogs just like to run!
ReplyDeleteKathy,
DeletePepper was not a roamer, nor a runner, until the last month or so. I guess he's getting older, and feeling brave. Little Jack is not a companion for most of this, as he, too, it older, and not as mobile. Especially with the poundage he's gained since we got Pepper.
Oh no! Did Pepper get inside? I think Farmer H did wrong to smack Pepper when he came back. That would have been the time for a treat and a "good boy" Same with the shocking, DON"T treat when he gets shocked, give the treat when he comes back if/when you call him. 1 shock, 2. call Pepper, 3. "good boy" and treat. I guess Farmer H has never properly trained a dog before? Yelling and smacks don't count, that is not "training".
ReplyDeleteRiver,
DeleteNo, Pepper didn't get inside. It's WORSE!
As for the treats, they WERE given after Pepper came back to Farmer H after being called, once the warning and shock had gone off. It's just not a pattern for him to get treats walking around in the yard, so I guess he made that connection that it was the shocking that was also different. The collar also has a voice recording that whistles and says, "Good boy," after the dog retreats from the boundary with the warning or shock.
As for the BARn incident, I agree that Pepper had no idea why he was being punished for coming back. I doubt he connected it with chasing the UPS truck.
The collar says good boy?? That's really great 😀
ReplyDeleteRiver,
DeleteYES! The Pony said you could choose "Good boy" or "Good girl." I don't know if there were different voices. I think it also says, "You did it!" But I'm not sure. That seems like it would be confusing to the dog, though maybe comforting to hear a voice talk a bit more.