Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The Training Shall Commence!

The Pony has the Halo 5 Collar ready for Pepper. Farmer H plans to start training on Monday evening. Sunday night, The Pony sent a text:

"OOF! That collar packs a punch. A 6 on the 1-15 scale makes my hand twitch, and an 8 did it down to my elbow. Right now I'm setting it to a loud beep (so we can tell when it goes off). They have a silent dog whistle setting that might work, too.

It'll go BEEP, to a 3 (minor shock), to a 6 as the "out of bounds" one. I'm not sure I'm comfortable going higher than a 6 on a dog Pepper's size."

Also, The Pony sent Farmer H an aerial picture of the zone. It's a view of our acreage and house and BARn and Freight Container Garage. We couldn't see for sure where the creek runs in the back, because of the trees in the satellite view. The Pony thinks the boundary is set about a half-acre across the creek. We just own a little strip of land across the creek, but it's all woods, nothing on it from the neighbors back there. 

Farmer H swears that he has the leash.

"It's on the pet carrier sitting out on the sidewalk where I park my truck."

"You think?"

"That's where I left it after the vet for the operation."

"Out in the weather? Couldn't you hang it on a nail in the garage?"

"It's fine, HM."

"If it's still there! You know how Pepper likes to chew on things..."

"Well, it's there if he ain't drug it off."

I guess I need to check and see if the leash is there, before I pick up The Pony on Monday. We're stopping by the Devil's Playground for a better charging cord for the collar. Might as well pick up another leash while we're there.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck to all those being trained, and those who are doing the training, lol!! Hopefully the leash is not as far out as Pepper can get at night ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jj,
      The leash was there, draped across the pet carrier. It was a green leash. No idea where Farmer H has put the brand new black leash that I bought when I got Pepper's black collar.

      Delete
  2. Farmer H is very casual about things that aren't specifically his. I wonder where that black leash disappeared to? I wouldn't want a 6 or higher shock for Pepper either and I think he will learn his boundaries quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      And the things that ARE specifically his remain until their welcome has been overly worn out. I'm thinking of that last 1/4 of his Harem Cake on the bottom shelf of FRIG II...

      Much more to the Pepper story, coming up.

      Delete
  3. We tried that on Louise, the Saint Bernard. Even the highest setting did not faze her. She figured out that once she got far enough away from the boundary line the collar stopped shocking. She would stand there and look back; I think she may have been laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      Oh, no! I don't want Pepper learning that about the collar!

      Delete