Thursday, September 3, 2026

I Guess I'll Survive (Part 3)

Monday morning, I was still trying to get the prescription that I'd been given on Thursday.

MONDAY

I called the clinic around 8:30. Got a different gal than Friday. Told her that I was not able to get the Toprol XL 25mg prescription that had been called into Farmer H's pharmacy on Friday evening. So I would need either the generic, metoprolol XL 25mg, which my pharmacy had in stock... or a similar beta blocker, depending on what NP thought. Different Gal assured me she would pass this info along to the care team.

That was it. Nothing else on Monday. No return phone call. No YourChart message.

TUESDAY

I figured I'd wait my the pharmacy opened, so I could check on whether a prescription had been sent in. The gal there said yes. It was for Toprol XL 25mg. I said, "Which you still can't get." And she said yes. And that she remembered this situation. I thanked her, and told her I would be calling my doctor again. She said she would keep an eye out for a prescription for me.

I called the clinic. Got 3rd Gal. She seemed totally disinterested in my request. But said she would send the message to NP. Of course I kept my phone with me, checking at any incoming sound, lest it be a text from the pharmacy, or a YourChart message.

At 11:34, I got an email about a new YourChart message. Imagine my surprise when the message showed that a Toprol XL 50mg prescription had been canceled, and a new prescription for Toprol XL 25mg had been sent to my pharmacy.

THAT DIDN'T HELP! They'd sent another prescription that couldn't be filled!

I called the clinic. Got 4th Gal. Who was kind and understood and seemed like somebody who could get something done.

"I don't mean to be complaining. I just want to get my prescription. I've made a lot of calls here, and nothing seems to get done."

"I will expedite this to your provider. I will use different words, so maybe he will understand. Don't you worry. You HAVE to keep on them to get anything done!"

That gave me high hopes that I'd hear something before I left for town. Nope. Not a word. So frustrating. I told Farmer H when he got home, and I had heard nothing by 5:00.

"I'll go down there tomorrow! I'll go to the counter and tell 'em that you HAVE to get your medicine! This is ridiculous. Tomorrow it will be a WEEK, and you still don't have it!"

"They're not going to tell you anything! Even though you're listed on my contacts, and that you can pick up my meds. They'll say, 'Why isn't SHE talking to us about it?' It won't do any good, and you'll just make a scene."

"Then YOU should go down there! Tell them ain't nobody doin' nothin' to get it right."

"I'll think about it. I'll call the pharmacy, in case they sent something in this afternoon. Then I'll call the clinic again. I might just ask for a work-in appointment. So I can talk to NP in person! To get this figured out!"

WEDNESDAY

The plan was in place. The Pony was on call to ride with me, if I had to make an appointment and go to the clinic over in Bill-Paying Town. Farmer H, who usually drives me, would be busy working on Cheap House. Which he hadn't done on Monday or Tuesday, having been ON ANOTHER JOB FOR HIS MONEY, putting in electricity for some random guy.

I gave The Pony a wake-up call at 7:15. Said I planned to wait until the pharmacy opened at 9:00, to call and see if by some miracle a prescription had been sent for me on Tuesday evening. I said I'd be calling the clinic if not, and trying to get an appointment. I should know by 9:30 what I was going to do.

Then I went to wash dishes as usual. I heard my phone make an incoming noise at 7:29. Hmm... I wonder that that could be. Don't you?

2 comments:

  1. "You HAVE to keep on them to get anything done"
    Well in my opinion you SHOULDN'T have to. They get the information sent and they should act on it and have things ready to be picked up. I notice the comment window is extremely narrow, fitting only 4-5 words across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      Since this lady worked there, I guess she knew the inside scoop! I agree that it SHOULDN'T be like that. Ever since Obamacare changed the health industry, and my regular doctor left because he didn't want to be locked into the "standard of care" that the major providers decreed...service has gotten worse every year.

      Yes, the comment box is quite narrow now! But at least I can reply again.

      Delete