I am a bit worried about Genius. He has been trying to call me since last week. One day I was in the middle of 10Box, and the reception isn't good. Another day I was driving, and talking on the phone while driving is now against the law here in Missouri, unless you have the hands-free set-up, which I don't. I was on the little road that passes by the Double Hovel Beauty Shop, taking a shortcut. So I explained I couldn't really talk, but had ansered in case something was wrong.
Genius got through to me on Saturday, while I was sitting at the kitchen table. He was on-call with work, but had a spare moment. We chatted about 30 minutes. Nothing vital was discussed.
Tuesday morning before 9:00, Genius called again.
"Now I don't want you to worry about me. I'm fine. But last week, I was eating supper, and I had some kind of allergic reaction. My lips swelled up, and my lower jaw. I didn't feel like I couldn't breathe. I wasn't worried enough to go to the ER. I took some Benadryl, and the swelling went down. I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss it. The pharmacy guy gave me an epi pen. So I have that, in case something happens before I see the doctor. I'm just calling to see what Grandpa was allergic to. I remember he had to carry and epi pen."
"That was wasps. And he was a lineman with the telephone company, so likely to run into a nest every now and then. He never had to use it, but he had it."
"Oh. Well. I didn't eat a wasp, heh, heh!"
"Your cousin Niecy is allergic to strawberries. And maybe shrimp. But I don't know that any of the rest of us have food allergies."
"Okay. I was just trying to find out some history to tell the doctor."
"What were you eating?"
"Just a burger and fries, from Shake Shack. I've eaten the exact same thing a lot of times, and never had any problem."
"What was on the burger?"
"Just meat and cheese and peppers."
"Huh. I guess it could have been something with the peppers, even though you never had a problem before. Or maybe they used a spatula on something else, and then on your burger."
"I was out in the yard earlier. But I didn't get stung by anything."
"Your grandpa was also really allergic to poison ivy. I had it once, and never again. I know it's in the oil from the leaves. But they say it can be carried by smoke and affect people. Or maybe you touched something or brushed against it. Like it was on your pants, and you rubbed your hands on your leg, and then touched the burger. I don't know. I bet your doctor refers you for allergy testing."
"Yeah. She might. But I'm fine now. So don't worry about me. Friend ate the same thing as I did, and he didn't have any reaction."
"I'll try not to worry about you. You seem to have things under control."
Yeah. I am very busy not worrying right now...
Oh no! Poor Genius. Hopefully the doctor can figure it out soon- very odd that it happened so suddenly. A mom can't help but worry!
ReplyDeletejj,
DeleteYes, it's disturbing because there was nothing new that might have caused it.