Thursday, February 21, 2019

They Find Me

Sometimes, I think I wish these things upon myself. If only that was possible, huh? Then I could be wishing a $100,000 scratcher winner on myself. It just doesn't work that way. What DOES work, when I'm least expecting it, is when I'm obsessing with a thought, and confirmation appears.

The Pony, for instance. He's on my mind almost every day, but on the day I got my hair terribly cut, I was preoccupied with him. You know how you look forward to stuff. I knew my birthday and his were coming up. We were planning a visit, but he'd been stalling us on the date. I'd been to the credit union to transfer his money that I'd paid on tuition. I had just mailed his package for Valentine's Day, and was daydreaming about what day it would arrive, and if he'd have to carry it across campus from the post office and on the shuttle that he takes from campus to his apartments, and if it would be awkward, and would he have his hands full with other learning stuff, or have his backpack. You know. Just things that worry a mom when she can't be there with her youngest, who has left the nest empty.

That whole trip, on my many errands, I'd been thinking about The Pony. I made a spur-of-the-moment Terrible Cuts decision while in line at the bank, depositing that Pony tuition money into my account that had paid it. Once I got to Terrible Cuts, I parked way down in the lot, and hurried inside. Let the record show that my choice of parking was due in no small part to that time I had backed into their chain-link fence and dented it. The Pony never lets me forget it.

Anyhoo... when I came out, I clicked the clicker to unlock T-Hoe's doors, and saw this:


I guess T-Hoe's open door had blocked it when I got out to go inside for my terrible cut. "What in the Not-Heaven?" I asked myself as I bent over for a closer look. And photo.


Yep. It was a little pony. And now it's MY little pony! I picked it up by the tag, even though it was wet from the rain, and took it home. Where I washed and dried it, making it as good as new. I don't really care about the probable toddler who dropped it there and cried his eyes out. Mrs. Hillbilly Moms cry, too. When they miss their Pony.

It kind of reminded me of that time I found another pony.

Seriously. How many ponies have YOU found?

3 comments:

River said...

I hopped into my pretend TARDIS and read the earlier entry, that's a cute little mini pony. And now you have a rainbow pony too! I have never found a pony, the last "toy" I ever saw on the footpath was a Barbie doll shoe in neon pink. I haven't lived where there are small children for about 16 years now.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I must confess that I have yet to find a pony, but I find all manner of stuff during pool season. Mostly hair ties and abandoned towels, shoes and t-shirts. I do not have a formal lost and found, but lay all the stuff out on the picnic table in the pavilion by the pool to be claimed by the owner or stolen by others. If it is not claimed after a week or so I gather it all up and wash it, then donate the clothes and keep the towels. They become dog towels or I will give them to tent campers who forgot to bring towels.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Ooh! Now I'm jealous about the neon pink Barbie shoe. It has no significance for me, but I think it would be a spectacular find. Besides, Hick has some Barbies. You never know when she might throw a shoe and need a spare. Who cares if it matches? It's NEON PINK!

***
Kathy,
Heh, heh! Reminds me of the commercial where that guy is inhaling the towel, and the wife says, "Isn't that the dog's towel?"