Monday, October 18, 2021

An Emu Is Not Just A Big Bird In Hillmomba

Farmer H has been working over at Pony House almost every weekday. On Thursday, he was starting home, and decided to drive by HOS's (Farmer H's Oldest Son) house to see if he was outside, to stop and talk. He didn't find HOS, but he found HOSS (Farmer H's Oldest Son's Son), who just turned 13, walking a couple blocks away.

"I stopped to talk to HOSS. Asked him how he liked going to school this year, instead of the at-home thing. He said he LOVES IT, and that he can't wait to go back on Monday. I told him I'll give him a call next week, and we'll go have pizza again.
 
I asked what he was doing on the street, and he said he was taking a walk. That he was on his way to the park, but changed his mind, because there were a bunch of EMUs in a yard!

I said, 'Big birds? There were a bunch of EMUs in a yard? We used to have peacocks that lived over here, across from your house now, but EMUS? And HOSS said, 'No, Grandpa. Not big birds! EMUs! The people who dye their hair black. They're crazy!'

I don't know what he was sayin'. But it sure sounded like EMUs to me..."

"Oh, you mean EMOs. The emotional kids. They wear all black, and use eyeliner, and have lip piercings, and are always depressed, and wear skinny jeans. It was a big thing in the 2000s. I can't believe you've never heard of EMOs!"

"Well. That makes more sense than big birds in a yard! But I guess he could have been afraid of EMUs, too!"

I guess Farmer H didn't have too many EMOs working at his saw-blade factory in the 2000s, but I sure had a bunch of them in my classroom at Newmentia.
__________________________________________________________________________

It wouldn't surprise me if Farmer H would have said, "IMO'S? There were a bunch of thin-crust pizzas with provel cheese in a front yard???" [That's a reference to the IMO'S Pizza chain, for anyone who isn't familiar with this St. Louis icon.]
__________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

River said...

Thank you for the IMO's explanation, I wouldn't have known what you meant otherwise. I think EMO's are a bit weird but I guess everyone has to take their own path to adulthood. In other places they are called Goths.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
One of my Newmentia co-workers called IMO'S Pizza "Velveeta cheese on a cracker." She was not a fan. I AM! We might be having it on Friday, in a hurried lunch with GENIUS. Plans still tentative...

I also mentioned that to Farmer H: "They USED to be called GOTHS." It's clear he did not rub elbows with angst-y teens! Yeah, they all have to find SOME WAY to drive a wedge between themselves and their parents. That's how they separate and become autonomous.