I worry about my little dog Jack. He's 10 years old now. No spring chicken. He's a bit portly, because of Farmer H over-feeding young Pepper for six months, and Jack getting the leftovers. Only Pepper is svelte and ravenous these days, and Jack should be losing his puppy weight, what with Pepper scarfing up every morsel in sight.
Jack seems to be conserving his energy. When I come down the driveway, he will trot to look over the edge of the carport, but usually does not jump down now to pursue his possum behind the house near the squirrel feeder. He watches Pepper. Pepper gets to the edge of the woods, and looks back for Jack.
Also, as I go from garage to house, only Pepper is there to greet me. He's become more people-centric since his very special operation. He will come to be petted, though that mostly involves ducking his head, lifting up a paw, and (lightly) chewing the petter's hand.
I call to Jack that we're going to get a treat (not what's making Jack fat, I swear! Only a 1/4 slice of bread), and he comes from under the carport roof to stand on the brick sidewalk. I wonder if it hurts his joints now to scamper up the porch steps. Pepper waits for him expectantly at the top. In fact, he's reluctant to follow me to the door, he's so fixated on Jack. Oh, how sweet. Pepper needs his old buddy to come with him to get a treat.
WAIT A MINUTE!
I suspect that Pepper is actually waiting to bully Jack, playing King of the Stairs, and not let him come up! All day long, I hear thumping and yipping. Pepper wrestles around with Jack. Sometimes blocking his walk to the water bowl around the kitchen windows. Perhaps it's just Pepper's herding half that's wanting practice.
I feel bad for Jack. He's not a spry pup. Sometimes he has to snarl and snap at Pepper to get his point across. Still, I think Jack is happier WITH Pepper than without.
No comments:
Post a Comment