Thursday, September 10, 2026

A Plan Not To My Liking

Remember how we were all set to get an electronic fence to keep our newest dog Pepper home at night? Or any time of day, really, but the complaint was about the night. Anyhoo... Farmer H spent $424.32 on that fencing system. I thought we were all set. The Pony was coming out Monday, and they'd get it going.

Nope. 

Farmer H changed his mind! He took that fencing system back on Sunday! Returned it, and got a credit of $404.27 back on the debit card. He said he didn't think that a radius of 150 feet was enough space. And then told me his new plan.

"I'm gonna board up the back porch. Like when Pepper was a pup. [That part of the porch is STILL boarded up, except around the water bowl!] I'll put a gate over by the BBQ grill. We'll keep the dogs on the porch at night. Then in the morning, I'll open the gate and let them out. Because he only complained about the night, and the barking from his dogs."

"NO! I don't like that! I don't want the porch boarded up. You've already ruined the porch with all those dang wagon wheels. And all the junk you have sitting around. I couldn't walk around the porch if I wanted to. I don't want to mess with a gate. And Pepper can get his paws and arms up on the rail. I'm afraid he might try to jump over, and get hurt going off the back porch."

"HM. You wouldn't have to do anything with the gate. I would open it in the morning, and close it at night. Pepper ain't gonna jump off the porch. And them wagon wheels look good! Everybody says so."

"No. I don't like it. They'll have to hold their poop and pee, or you'll have to clean it up. And they can still get over to annoy the neighbors in the day."

"They ain't complained about the day."

"She said they eat her cat food that she leaves out."

"She SAID. But any animal can come eat cat food. We had that possum coming up on the porch. And that dead armadillo out by the carport."

"I don't like the porch idea. Why can't we just get a fencing system? You bought it, then took it back!"

"If you can find one that gives them more space, fine."

"The Pony looked one up. It's only a little more, but there's a $10 a month subscription fee. That's nothing. We won't even notice it."

"If it works..."

"I'll let The Pony describe it on Monday when we grill."

To be continued...

6 comments:

  1. I also dislike this plan - you need a fence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jj,
      I agree! More details when I have them, for the next plan.

      Delete
  2. The plan is a fence, and only a fence, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jj,
      I can't imagine how high Farmer H would need to build a gate to keep Pepper on the back porch. Dogs can JUMP, and like I said, he can get his elbows up on the porch rail. The gate would have to be higher than the rail to keep him in, and then he might try jumping over the rail, and fall 10-12 feet!!! So yes, Farmer H needs to understand that we need some kind of electronic fence. A little shock is better than broken bones.

      Delete
  3. I agree boarding up is not a good idea! I think the electronic fence is the best idea so the dogs can still run but will learn boundaries. You could mention that NOT everybody likes the wagon wheels, but don't if that will stir up trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,
      I have definitely mentioned how MY PEOPLE didn't like the wagon wheels, back when he only had about half as many. Of course he said that everybody HE knows liked them. Even though I can't think of anybody he knows who has seen them, other than people who live past us and drive by. Maybe it was the guys who mowed the yard/field for him.

      Delete