Sunday, September 6, 2026

I Would Rather Pepper Just Get Peppered

There's trouble in paradise! Farmer H got a text from our across-the-road neighbor on Wednesday evening. He said, "Your new dog is coming over at night and making my dogs bark. Could you do something about it?"

This upset Farmer H. Coming from neighbors he thought were our friends. We've been invited to football viewing parties and cookouts over the years. They commented on how nice Farmer H keeps our lawn. But now, Farmer H was insulted. That's how he acted, but I think he was more hurt.

"Huh. It's not like Pepper is doing anything. I guess he forgets how their dogs killed our 37 chickens. And how their horses got out and trampled through our yard and garden until they could come catch them."

"Yeah. The chickens were a bad deal. They only killed a couple a day. So there was time to do something to stop it before all of them were dead. But they didn't. Their horses wasn't really their fault. They just got out. And don't forget, Jack used to run under their fence and chase their horses. But we DID get the shock collar and break him of that. I don't think they're being jerks. They're just telling you that Pepper is a problem for them. I know that strange dog comes in our yard at night and makes Pepper and Jack bark. I wouldn't be so sure it's Pepper causing their dogs to bark. But maybe they have a camera, and it IS Pepper."

"Well, I'm not going to tie up my dog. That's why I live in the country. He's not gonna be in a pen, or in the house."

"If you got a shock collar, you'd have to stay up and catch Pepper starting over there at night. That would be almost impossible. And I think we have too much land to use the invisible fence kind of thing."

"I'm going to look them up."

"I wouldn't mind spending up to $500 for something like that if it would work. We're not paupers. I'm just not sure we can find something that works."

Farmer H spent all evening on his phone, looking at different systems, from Walmart and Petco. One of them said you could program it by satellite. Draw in your boundaries. They could be irregular. The other said it worked in a 150-foot radius. That's the one Farmer H bought, though he really preferred the satellite version. The prices were comparable, but The Veteran said he uses the 150-foot one from Petco, and it works for his dogs. It cost $424.32.

Farmer H plans to get it set up on Monday, while The Pony is here for a cookout, to help measure the boundaries. I hate to do this to Pepper. To restrict him and SHOCK him. But he can't be bothering other people. Jack learned really fast not to run into the horse field, thanks to Mr. Shocky.

I'd really rather the neighbors just use a BB gun to pepper Pepper with little pellets as discouragement. But that would be putting the responsibility on them, and that's not right.

No comments: