Thursday, September 12, 2019

Just In The Pick Of Lime

I couldn't do it any more. Couldn't add that reconstituted lime juice in the squeezy bottle to my precious daily 44 oz Diet Coke. That stuff left such a bad taste in my mouth that I shunned any other alternative besides a NATURAL LIME, covered with peel. I bought more limes.

Well. In the week that I laid off the limes, it looks like The Devil was busy wheeling and dealing with his citrus providers. There were plenty of bags of limes back in the bin at The Devil's Playground. They were, however, like a miniature version of their predecessors.

I took that picture to show the scale, but it actually makes the limes look gigantic! They are the size of a rubber golf ball for miniature golf. Even Farmer H commented on their size, and he doesn't use the limes.

They are the thin-skinned variety. They have a really good taste, but they're very hard. It takes a lot of rolling to soften them up to release their meager juice. They're all pretty dark green. So maybe the last batch, so similar, yet bigger and lighter colored and juicier, were more ripe.

I'm pretty satisfied with their actual magical elixir performance. I refuse to increase my addiction to 3 limes rather than 2.

4 comments:

River said...

Perhaps as the season goes on the available limes will become bigger and juicier. Unless it's the end of lime season there and you'll have to put up with whatever gets imported.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't know about the lime growing season, but we're heading into fall now. I'm guessing The Devil buys limes wherever they're cheapest, so not necessarily domestic. These have a good flavor, they're just so tiny.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Are they sold by the pound or per lime? HeWho used to be a gin and tonic drinker, but since he no longer drinks, I no longer buy limes. I have no fond memories of his drinking days.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'm not a good price-watcher. I think they're just sold by the bag, same price on every bag. I used to have 10 limes per bag, but I think there are more of these tiny ones. Must be based on weight.

I never bought limes until Farmer H wanted to make that Montana Mule. I think I picked out four individual ones. He only used two, so I put them in my magical elixir, and got hooked!