Friday, April 3, 2020

Mrs. HM Finds A Good Egg In Country Mart

Oh, my gosh! Country Mart was abuzz with people Wednesday afternoon. Between people getting their first-of-the-month money, and the county's impending stay-at-home order going into effect in the early morning hours of Friday, people were stocking up. The parking lot was almost 1/4 full! I did my stocking up on Tuesday (said the independently wealthy Mrs. HM, smugly), and was only in Country Mart for some deli chicken.

As long as I was there, though, I went two aisles over for some Pennysticks Butter Braided Pretzels, BBQ Pork Rinds, generic 3 x 4 bandaids, and triple antibiotic ointment. Imagine my surprise when I came back to the checkout, and saw three lines open, with five customers each. Let the record show that they were not maintaining a 6-foot distance from each other. I got in the first line, cooling my heels with my elbows on my cart-walker, rocking gently in front of the onion bin, prepared for a wait.

"Hon? Do you have anything that needs to be weighed?" The deli worker who had just bagged my chicken called to me. "Because I can ring you up over here."

"Oh, THANK YOU! You didn't have to do that."

"We just don't have anything to do over here. I'm glad to help. It gives me something to do."

"Well, thank you so much. I really appreciate it."

I was out of there in a jiffy. That deli worker is a good egg.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Hopefully you have toilet paper, because you will never get the chance to buy any more for the rest of your life. At least that's the impression I get...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I appreciate your concern, Madam, for the ongoing pristinity of Farmer H's dainty rumpus. We had two regular rolls, and 8 giant rolls, until this morning (and by that I mean 12:30 p.m.) when I put a new one in the master bathroom, and dropped one down to my lair area. We're good for now.

Smug with my stockpile, I have not even glanced at the shelves in Country Mart and Save A Lot. I will now, next trip to town, which will most likely be on Monday to mail the boys' Easter packages.

River said...

NOT keeping a six foot distance?? Shame on them. Our supermarkets have green X's on the floors where people must stand in line and there is one supermarket that even has arrows showing the aisles are now one way only, so people go down one aisle and up the next etc, so no one has to dance/shuffle around people going the opposite way. I think that's a great idea and should be everywhere, permanently.
Your deli worker is indeed a good egg.
I keep forgetting to check the toilet paper aisle too, because I have enough at home for about a month or six weeks.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I just read yesterday that the Devil's Playground is now limiting occupancy. 5 people for every 1000 square feet. One in, one out, after that is reached. Marks painted for waiting outside in line. I won't be going there for a very long time. It had been about a month since I went last time. I've been doing my shopping at Country Mart and Save A Lot.