Sunday, June 19, 2022

A $20 DARE

I went in Country Mart on Wednesday, just for the scratcher machines. A young man was in the vestibule between the two sets of sliding doors, beside a table set up with T-shirts and caps. He smiled and nodded as I went in. On my way out, he started his spiel. 
 
"Excuse me, can I talk to you for a minute about the D.A.R.E. program? It stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. Funding has been discontinued, and some schools are having trouble keeping the program--"
 
"I am familiar with the D.A.R.E. program. I'm a retired teacher. So you don't have to sell me on D.A.R.E."
 
"Would you care to make a donation?"
 
Here's the thing. I have no problem making a donation. I've said before, I prefer to do it on my own, with a check, for record-keeping purposes. I am not a fan of people asking for handouts in person. Unless they need 10:00 a.m. whiskey, or a cheap vape, of course!
 
Anyhoo... this young man was such a good "salesman" that I wanted to make a donation. The problem was that I didn't have my purse. Only money in the pocket of my shirt. Money that consisted of a $1 bill, and a $20 bill. If I'm donating money, I don't want to be a penny-pinching miser! So the $1 bill was out. I normally wouldn't donate $20. But for D.A.R.E., and this super-charity-salesman, I would.
 
"Can I get a receipt if I donate cash?"
 
"Oh, sure. I have a receipt book."
 
"Gotta have my tax records, heh, heh."
 
"Yes. I can write you a receipt."
 
"Okay. Here's my donation."
 
"Oh! Great! Thank you!"
 
He wrote out my receipt.
 
"My mother and auntie are teachers, too."
 
"Oh, what do they teach?"
 
"My mother teaches high school algebra, and my auntie does something in special education."
 
"My own aunt was the head of the special education department. I taught high school biology and physical science."
 
"Oh! Science was my favorite!"
 
"It's getting harder and harder to be a teacher these days. Especially with the lockdowns and teaching from home."
 
"I know! My mom said that was the worst!"
 
"It would be really hard for algebra."
 
"She said the kids would be sleeping at home during class."
 
"Yeah. Imagine trying to dissect something for science class!"
 
"A whole bunch of kids have been cheated out of the most interesting part of school ever! I loved that stuff!"
 
"Yes. It was always my favorite, too."
 
"Thank you for your donation."
 
"You're welcome. If I wasn't a retired teacher, I would not have given that donation!"
 
When I went back to Country Mart on Friday, on my unknowing way to be short-fished, that young man, and two young ladies were at the donation table. He nodded and greeted me. So they knew not to start soliciting. 
 
It was a better use of the space than when the window salesmen have that table.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I remember at least one DARE class when a student would start casually talking about "activities" that went on at their home... and the DARE officer would say, "If you go any further, I will have to report it," and the kid would shut up.

Once a DARE certificate got me out of a speeding ticket. I was (honestly) coming home from chaperoning a DARE dance. I was speeding (as usual), and was unfortunately in Calverton Park, a small municipality notorious for giving speeding tickets. I had my certificate on my dashboard (it was slated for the trashcan) and I answered truthfully when the cop asked me where I had been. He let me off with a warning because he said, "Teachers don't make very much, and speeding tickets are expensive."

Perhaps I should create a DARE certificate (undated) and keep it on the passenger seat, ready to throw it on my dashboard the next time I get pulled over?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Make sure to laminate it while you have access to a laminator! Better yet, hang it around your neck every time you get out of the car. Maybe you can commandeer the donations from solicitors, by saying you are there to pick up the money.

River said...

I have never heard of the DARE program, perhaps we have it here under a different name but it seems like a really worthy cause to be supporting.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Compared to some of the organizations that are after my money, DARE is worthwhile to me!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I don't trust the phone solicitors for donations. How do you really know? Like you, I prefer to write a check so that I have proof. Lately there are so many stories about how the majority of the doation goes to the directors of the program.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't like the firemen stopping traffic holding out a boot, or the poppy people accosting me at every store I go into unless I wave that mini poppy like a madwoman. No objections to the cause, just to the method.

When I worked for the state unemployment office, we had United Way donations withheld from our checks. I wasn't crazy about the idea, but we were kind of strong-armed into doing it. At least we had information before choosing our charity. We could see what percent of the donation went to administrative costs. I picked a local food pantry. Even after leaving that job, I still donated, because they sent me material in the mail, and I could return a check.