Sunday, May 18, 2014

When Bad Manners And Band Go Hand In Hand

We attended The Pony's last band concert this afternoon. It was the end of an era.

The anticipation was greater than waiting for Heinz Ketchup to drip out of the spout. First went the sixth grade band, then Basementia, then The Pony's Newmentia concert band. And afterward, the Newmentia Jazz Band. We got there at 2:00, and left shortly after 4:30. That's a lot of band.

Of course, there were some speeches in between performances. Thank the Gummi Mary the director forgot the awards certificates in the band room, and merely read the names of the winners, and had them stand for recognition. Otherwise, it could have been an all-day affair.

The bands sounded excellent, as always. The audience was the usual crowd. There are always those who try to ruin it for the rest of us. Like the ones who carry in chairs from the cafeteria to sit in behind the bleachers, on the mezzanine. Okay. The Hillbilly family are those people. None of that being crammed in and walking down shaky metal pull-out bleachers for us. But WE take our chairs back after the performance. In fact, today we brought in three chairs, and took back six. Because we're givers like that.

What makes people think they can carry out a purple plastic chair, sit in it for two and a half hours, then push it three feet back against a wall and walk off? HELLO! Pushing a chair from the rail to the wall does not mean you put it up. Yet an entire row of about 35 folks did that. That is abominable.

How are we supposed to teach the kids how to put back what they take if their parents act like this?

Excuse me. Could somebody come over here and carry my soapbox back to my room for me?

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

And from my soapbox I would rant about kids who are disrespectful and physically aggressive and unkind every day since August...and now that we're in May, they want to join in the end-of-the-school-year fun.

No. No way and no how.

Now I'll sit down and shut up.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Don't forget to put away your soapbox, Madam, lest somebody trip over it while avoiding putting away his chair.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

No wonder today's kids are so rude! I always have candy left at the end of the season and will give it away to make room for fresh merchandise. I have some kids in the park for the next few months while the fathers are building a water tower. Gave them some and I am still finding wrappers on the grounds. Not one to bite my tongue, I expressed my displeasure to the children and the 8 year old was sassy to top it off!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Kids. Can't live with 'em, can't eat without 'em. As my friend the elementary teacher used to say, round about the end of February.