Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Foreshadowing Of What Lies In Wait On Mrs. Hillbilly Mom's Retirement Days

Woe is Mrs. Hillbilly Mom! She had a personal day scheduled for Tuesday, and the universe once again conspired against her, conjuring up a snow day out of a few flurries. So...you see what happened here, right? Mrs. Hillbilly Mom had a snow day Tuesday, and had to go back to work Wednesday without even getting her day off! A day not ticked off of her 96 accumulated leave days.

We were SO on schedule. President's Day lay ahead of us. The Pony's birthday. He was looking forward to being off school on his birthday. All we had to do was get through the week without missing a day, so as not to use that Monday as a makeup day. There was nothing in the forecast, set for Newmentia Town, Hillmomba, through that day. Just a chance of snow on the Sunday before it, way out, long range. The flurries didn't even register on that forecast. Not even a snowflake symbol at the top, not even a  < 1 in notation. Monday, all at once there were snow showers on the meteorologists' lips. Scattered. Winds 30 mph. The scattered snow showers stopping at noon. Or 1:45. Or 4:00. Or 8:00 p.m.

I got up Tuesday morning, went to take my thyroid pill, made the part of The Pony's lunch that needed making. None for me, though. I had a personal day scheduled! I had promised to stop on the way to school for The Pony to pick up a donut. I took a shower. Farmer H's phone beside the sink made a noise. Which reminded me. I went to check my cell phone on the kitchen counter, charging, just in case my sister the ex-mayor's wife had sent word of her daughter's little girl, who is very sick and in the hospital.

WHAT'S THIS? A TEXT TO THE FACULTY OF NEWMENTIA? NO SCHOOL TODAY!
However, we WILL be in session on President's Day. A text that came in at 5:11 a.m. One minute after I left the kitchen for the shower.

I looked out the front door windows. The ground was white. I took the phone to show Farmer H, who was standing in all his birthday suit glory at the bathroom sink. "Look at this! It says we're not having school today!"

"Huh. That was my Number One Son. He says to watch the roads, they're really slick."

"You need to go through town. Not up that back road."

"I'll be fine. I always go the back road."

"I know how you drive! You can't be getting off the road. The wind chill is 8 degrees."

"I have an extra coat in the car."

"I can't come rescue you! I'll go off the road, too! Then we'll ALL die. Freeze to death!"

"I guess I could call in sick."

Yeah. No. Backroads your crazy butt to work.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh, but soon, it will be like a snow day every day. Just you and Farmer H... home together every waking minute of every day.

Red rum.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Isn't it ironic ..... a little too ironic, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Life can be SO unfair!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yes. Farmer H lamented that fact just tonight, wishing his retirement day was the same as mine. (!)

****
Kathy,
Yes. Too, TOO ironic.

****
fishducky,
That's what I will be saying the week after Farmer H retires.