Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Scenes From The Movie Struggle In Outer Hillmomba

Not sure why I thought of this topic tonight. The Mansion has been fairly calm lately, only a couple of bumps and thumps each night, between 12:30 and 3:00. Maybe it's Halloween coming up that's on my mind. Besides the thought of candy, I mean.

Do you have certain movies with scenes you refuse to watch?

First of all, let's get The Exorcist out of the way. I won't watch ANY of that! No way, no how! I read the book when I was in high school, and was spooked out of my wits. So even though it's campy now, allegedly, with all its cheesy outdated special effects, I won't take a look. Ever. Nor will I watch any of those Grudge movies. Or Paranormal Experience. Not my cup of tea. I DID watch The Blair Witch Project way back when HOS and The Veteran were teens, and the opening credits scared me more than the movie, which I knew was fake anyway.

No, I'm not talking about scenes you cover your eyes for in horror movies. I'm talking about regular movies that seem tame by horror movie standards. Two scenes come to mind for me tonight.

Practical Magic.
It's an innocuous movie, a dramedy, perhaps, with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman as modern-day witches with love trouble. I'm shocked the studio didn't consult me for a logline, aren't you? If you haven't seen it, track it down over the magical thin-airwaves. It also stars Goran Visnjic and Aidan Quinn and Stockard Channing and Dianne Wiest. Did I mention Goran Visnjic?

Anyhoo...there's this scene where Sandy and Nicole (I'm sure they'd tell me to call them by their first names, aren't you?) are trying to resurrect a certain character. They chant some spell. AND I WON'T WATCH OR LISTEN! Something is too creepy about that. When my boys were younger, and I could still persuade them to watch chick flicks with me, I would fast-forward that part. Little #1 son would say, "WHY? Why can't we watch that part?" I just told him it was too creepy for me. My sister the ex-mayor's wife took him to see his first 'R' movie when he was 14, and I did not find that nearly as objectionable as this part of Practical Magic. I'm a weirdo, I guess.

Copycat.
This is a psychological thriller, in my opinion. It's been on TV quite a bit. A famous criminal psychologist offers the local police department unwanted help in catching a serial killer. Again, I'm available for logline services! This stars Sigourney Weaver, Holly Hunter, Dermot Mulroney, and Harry Connick Jr. Put it on your watch list!

My fast-forward scene involves a snippet of a video sent to Sigourney Weaver's computer. Every time she opens that, I have to fast forward. It's hokey and animated, in an outdated technology kind of way, but I can't watch. No siree, Bob! Everything else is fair game, disturbing as it may be, but not that one snippet of a video.

How's about it? Anything you find too creepy to view in a non-horror movie?

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

If I had a video of when I got my master's, instead of just a photo, I'd consider the video too creepy. Or crazy.

(In the photo I am biting my tongue--which is stuck out a bit--and laughing at the same time. I look like I rode to Lindenwood on the short bus. The really, really short bus.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The very thought of such an image makes my blood run cold!