Saturday, September 3, 2022

This One's On Me

The Wednesday night warming of the beans. Not the running of the bulls, but still a mishap waiting to happen.

I put a serving of beans in my copper-bottom saucepan. No need to use the whole cauldron where I cooked them. Just some for Farmer H, with mine to be warmed later. He was in no hurry to eat, having feasted on a thick slab of meatloaf at the Senior Center for lunch. Even treated Old Buddy. The price is right: $5.00. The sides were mashed potatoes and carrots.

Anyhoo... I wanted to scratch my lottery, and set the pot of beans on the back burner.

"I'm going to let your beans start warming. If I can get this burner to work. It's either cold or too hot."

After 10 minutes, I took a break from my LOSERS to check on the beans. Stone cold! The bottom of the pan was frigid to the touch. So was the burner itself!

"I told you this thing doesn't work right! I've had the beans on for 10 minutes, and NOTHING. Not working at all, even though I put them between LOW and MEDIUM LOW. But if I turn them up just a little, they'll start burning!"

I adjusted the dial just a tad, and hobbled off to the bathroom. Came back and touched the bottom of the pan. Still ice cold! But wait a minute... I could feel heat. Smell heat.

WHOOPSIE!

It was the FRONT burner I'd turned on! My bad. I turned it off (too big for the pan I was using) and turned on the actual back burner where the pan was sitting. To a notch between LOW and MEDIUM LOW. Within 10 minutes, the beans were warming nicely.

Farmer H really doesn't need to know this...

5 comments:

River said...

I've done the same whoopsie! except with left and right burners. I can't use the back burners because they are too close to the wall and the range hood is too low, so if I use one at the back and lean in to see how the stirring is going, I donk my forehead on the range hood. So now I just don't use them.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Of course not. What happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen. We must avoid letting them know they are right--on the rare occasions they are--at all costs.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I prefer my front right and back right burners. Don't know why! It's easier to lift a heavy cauldron of beans off the front burners, and the one on the right is large, while the front left is small. Maybe that's it. My range hood is a built-in that's under the microwave that fits into the cabinets. So no donking for me.

***
Sioux,
Good to know my secret is safe with you, Madam. I am pretty sure you will not attempt to curry favor with Farmer H by revealing anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) to him. That would be like feeding a stray cat. You'd never get rid of him, you'd get nothing in return except a pile of poop and a scathing stare.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I'll never tell!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
It's always good to have a third person to keep my secrets!