Saturday, May 19, 2018

If These Ears Could Talk

There are times in her life when Mrs. Hillbilly Mom has been a victim of TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Has heard things she didn't want to hear. The stuff of nightmares.

One such enlightenment came during the years she worked as a Claims Technician with the Missouri Division of Employment Security. Times have changed, and that job was phased out shortly before The Pony was born. There may still be people doing that work, but not by sitting in an office, taking face-to-face interviews.

I loved this job, and would have continued it indefinitely, had not progress thrown a monkey wrench into the in-person office setup. With claims-filing switching over to telephone, several of us technicians were given the option of moving to a different office when ours closed, or filing for unemployment due to job elimination. I'm pretty sure there's some irony in that scenario.

Anyhoo...I was working in the local Hillmomba office at that time. A local man had come in to give a statement for his claim. My job was to interview (at separate times, of course) the claimant and the employer. These interviews could be conducted by phone or in person. This guy, let's call him Grocery Worker, had wanted to give an in-person statement.

I don't recall exactly what precipitated Grocery Worker's separation from his employer. I know for sure that he didn't quit. When that happens, the claimant can't get unemployment, since it's the employer's money, and he could have kept working. When fired, the claimant CAN get unemployment, but might or might not have to serve  up to 16 weeks of disqualification, wherein he must show that he is actively seeking work each week. Then his unemployment benefits kick in if he still hasn't found a job.

MY job was to play Solomon. Play Judge Judy. See who was more believable (usually somewhere in the middle of both stories) and assign benefits accordingly.

So anyhoo...I don't remember why Grocery Worker was fired. Might have been lateness, might have been an argument over the schedule. It doesn't seem that he was deliberately breaking rules. But the fact was, the employer fired him. Of course people talk in circles before they get to the point. Sometimes they have a grudge, and sway the conversation to alleged improprieties in the workplace that may or may not be true. That's what I had to decide. You had to notice the demeanor in person, or the tone of voice and attitude on phone. That was not a problem for Mrs. HM. Teachers develop a knack for detecting bullcrap.

So...Grocery Worker, in getting to the facts, revealed practiced which I most definitely did not want to know about. It's like learning the recipe for hot dogs. It wasn't so bad when he mentioned how, when people returned food that was expired, it was put back on the shelf. As long as it wasn't opened, even though it still showed past date, the policy was to put it back, and see if someone would buy it. I've had that happen to me with cheese. I took it back for the date, and the next time I went in (checking dates closely now) it was right back in the cooler.

Anyhoo...Grocery Worker was getting to the important part about why he was fired, when he matter-of-factly stated, "I was putting chicken in the bleach bucket when--"

"Wait a minute. You were putting chicken in a bleach bucket? Why was that?"

"Well, when the chicken went past the date, we unwrapped it, soaked it in a bucket filled with bleach water, then repackaged it with a new date and put it back out. To get three or four more days out of it."

SWEET GUMMI MARY!!!

That's when I started buying not-locally packaged chicken. Got it with the Tyson label, so I knew it wasn't packaged (and possibly bleached) at that store. In fact, even though I didn't do my meat shopping at that specific store (now out of business, go figure!) I was still wary.

Some things, you just don't want to know.
_________________________________________________________________

As I recall, that guy got his unemployment with no penalty. Didn't even involve rotten chicken.
_________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicken in a bleach bucket? Hard to believe!!

River said...

Bleach? Right here in the Western world? That's what they do in China with dead chickens etc. Here in Australia that's illegal and even putting returned cold foods back on the shelf is illegal. In case they haven't been properly refrigerated while out of the store. The meat shelves are inspected daily and meat/chicken etc that have one use by date left are marked down for quick sale, but anything on the shelf with the current date that didn't sell the day before is removed, the store writes it off as a loss. Selling expired goods carries a HUGE fine here.
This is one of the reasons I don't eat much meat, especially the pre-packaged stuff.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am not hungry enough to buy questionable store packaged chicken. I did know of this "procedure" having worked at a grocery store as my very first job. I am guessing you don't want to know any more tricks of the trade!

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
And yet it's (sadly) been verified by Blog Buddy Kathy!!!

***
River,
That would be a long way to commute to do my shopping.

***
Kathy,
YIKES! If you worked in a hot dog factory, I don't want to know! Nor do I have any desire to hear other insider secrets. Especially if you've had experience with a Diet Coke dispenser.