Monday, March 4, 2019

I Knew They Couldn't Be Trusted

Well! Here I am on Sunday evening, typing up a tale of betrayal! Those TV meteorologists are not to be trusted! I learned that way back when the weather was my bread-and-butter. When a snow day would re-charge my work batteries, allow me to take a brief breather from the rat race. Good thing I'm not teaching now! I would be LIVID, and right this minute organizing a mob of fellow disgruntled educators to descend upon the TV studio with pitchforks and flaming torches.

Remember those six inches of snow that were rolling in Saturday night/Sunday morning? They rolled about as well as a square bowling ball! I looked out at 3:00 a.m., when I went to bed, hoping to see a winter wonderland. Nope. Nothing. At 5:30 I looked out again. Nope. Nothing. At 7:30, Farmer H looked out, and said, "Yeah, the snow is really coming down."

Imagine my surprise SHOCK when I peeked out at 10:00, and saw about 1/2 inch of powder on the porch rail! Nothing coming out of the sky. You might remember that I braved life and limb on Friday, laying in a 9-pack of Charmin Ultra Strong Toilet Paper. I also made sure to have Diet Coke reserves on hand, because surely those six inches of snow would keep me from driving T-Hoe to The Gas Station Chicken Store for my daily 44 oz Diet Coke. I bought the big bottles! To pour in my cup! Put two of those 20-oz bottles in the basement mini fridge, all ready for today's beverage.

Huh. Farmer H drove to town to put some unsold auction stuff back in his Storage Unit Store. He sent me a text: "The roads are perfectly clear."

Well! I'd been sitting around, waiting for those flakes as big as Farmer H's thumb, as he'd described them at 7:30, to start up again. Nope. Farmer H had checked his phone weather. "Twenty percent chance of more snow at noon, ten percent chance at 1:00, then none." What was I waiting for, then? I hopped in the shower, and prepared myself for a trip to town and a 44 oz Diet Coke. Even our gravel road was bereft of snow.

Good thing I'm not a working woman any more. There won't be a shortage of pitchforks and flaming torches. But I might get a retirement-related injury from shaking my fist at those TV meteorologists.

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Ooops, I think I got your snow!!

River said...

You bought coke and stashed it in the fridge then still went out for your regular 44oz? Huh. I mostly ignore the weather segment unless we're heading for heatwaves, then I watch in case they say there's a chance of a cool change. I hate the heat, I always need a couple of cool days to recover, they call it 'heat hangover'.
Have to read yesterday's post now, I didn't turn on the computer all day, with the migraine I had. From the heat.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That's okay. You can keep it. No hard feelings!

...
River,
Yes! I'm NOT Kathy's HeWho! I don't drink the bottled stuff if I can make it to town for a fountain 44. Of course, I don't want HeWho to get any ideas... Then he might have to make his own trip to town for a 44, after having his breakfast sandwich.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Sorry about that headache! I almost got one from the cold. I could feel my sinus area constricting, on my drive home from town. Maybe it was from the dry air of T-Hoe's heater. Anyhoo... I was fortunate that mine didn't develop into a headache, and seemed to resolve on its own. I hope you're feeling better by now.

River said...

Much better and so is Lola.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Good! I can't have sympathy for too many people or pets at one time! It goes against my nature.