Monday, March 18, 2019

The Bizarro World Of Banking

Remember a couple weeks ago when my bank thought I was a criminal trying to deposit a fake check? I think I told that tale on my not-so-secret blog.

I see how it goes now! I'm not allowed to deposit money INTO my account, and use it right away. Oh, no. That will be a wait of 10 DAYS, before my funds are available to me. Even with a check that came from my credit union down the street, and the required driver's license to prove that I am, indeed, the owner of my account, so I will be allowed the privilege of putting money INTO it, for the bank to sit on for 10 DAYS.

However, if I walk in off the street, with a counter withdrawal slip already filled out and signed, the tellers can't get to that cash drawer fast enough! I'm surprised nobody turned an ankle, or tore an Achilles, or pulled a hamstring. I'm shocked they didn't shoot my bills at me like lettuce out of a salad shooter, or swirl them in a tornado like a money-grab booth. Not one question was asked, other than, "How would you like it."

Well. Let's see. I'd like it after you ask me for two forms of ID, and maybe my mother's maiden name. So not just any common streetwalking gal can waltz in there and help herself to money from my account.

3 comments:

River said...

I get the bit about waiting for a check (cheque) to clear, although in these digital electronic days it shouldn't take that long, but if you have enough funds in your account, you should be able to deposit a check (cheque) and withdraw funds on the same day, at the same transaction.
As for a pre-filled in withdrawal slip, I don't know how that works anymore, should they ask for ID or should they recognise you? I always withdraw from the ATM, my bank ahs one on the outside within the porch area, and two inside where passers-by can't sneak up behind you and see your pin or the amount you withdraw, so I always use the inside machine.

River said...

Oops, 'has', not 'ahs' (*~*)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I forgot to mention, the reason for taking in a counter withdrawal slip was because the bank's ATM (on the back of the building, for drive-thru) was blocked off with an orange traffic cone. It breaks down often, so I keep a stash of counter withdrawal slips already filled out with the account number, so I can just fill in the amount, and sign it.