Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Even The Back Yard Sock Can't Solve This Problem

As you read this, Mrs. HM will be cooling her heels in a cubicle at the bank. I suppose there are worse places to cool one's heels. NOT-HEAVEN, for example! Thank the Gummi Mary, I have no plans to go there. Or in the open cargo door of a military transport plane, the kind that rolls out tanks with giant parachutes. Or in a current classroom with 35 masked 11th-graders. No thank you. I would hot-foot it out of any such places, and find somewhere else to cool my heels.

Anyhoo... with the banks eager to TAKE IN to my money, but not allow me to TAKE OUT my money since mid-March, I've had to bite the bullet and schedule an appointment to in order to interact with my old friend, MY MONEY. There are only so many things you can do through a drive-thru canister, you know. 
 
Nobody is allowed inside the lobby without an APPOINTMENT, and the ATM in the back wall of the bank always kicks out my card saying NOT AVAILABLE when I request the amount I had taken out weekly for years. Of course, to get THAT straightened out, I would need to go inside. Which would need an APPOINTMENT!

Anyhoo... I have a pile of Series EE Savings Bonds that are begging for redemption. One for each month of the year. So I am up to 9 savings bonds that need to be dealt with. Don't want a tax penalty! You may recall that the last time Farmer H and I embarked on a mission for such redemption, the bank tellers grew apoplectic in a quest for THE MEDALLION. I told the tale on my other blog. That was when we had a whole stack of bonds, and were required to mail them off to the US Treasury Department somewhere up north.

You can redeem a small number of savings bonds at the bank. For cash, or to deposit them in your account. I don't remember how many that is. I'd been doing them three at a time, and that worked. The tellers were only bumfuddled momentarily, and then one would grab somebody authorized to use THE MEDALLION.

I think I will redeem four at a time now, over the next couple weeks. After first making an online appointment to visit my branch bank, and telling them the purpose of my business. I suppose that's so they can refuse an appointment to anyone who says, "I'm going to rob you." While inside, I will also withdraw our weekly cash allowance, and save myself a 30-minute wait sitting in T-Hoe at the drive-thru. 
 
Shh... don't let the bank's website hear you. I did not include that info for my appointment.

4 comments:

River said...

Now you've got me thinking about someone making an appointment and the teller asking "what is the purpose of this appointment?" and the caller saying "I want to rob your bank, please have the money ready bagged for me for a quick getaway."
I hope your transactions go smoothly and quickly.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Heh, heh! With the mask policy, it's not as far-fetched as it used to be!

This bank visit will be another tale in a couple of days. Since I have nothing interesting simmering on the back burner right now, after the two posts already in the can for Thursday and Friday. Not that they're interesting. Don't get your hopes up.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am sitting on lots of coins, not being able to deposit them via the drive-thru. I must be the cause of the coin shortage!! HeWho loves to runs errands will have to make an appointment, I suppose, t set the economy right.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
So it's YOU!!!

My drive-thru says it can take 2 rolls of coins in the canister. HeWho can just go through the line a lot of times!