Monday, September 14, 2020

Try As I Might, I Could Not Stomach The Pony's Skin

We don't let anything go to waste around the Mansion. Paper towels used for drying after hand-washing can be used again later, after they dry. Okay. I'm the only one who does that. Farmer H and The Pony don't wash their hands in the kitchen sink. That I know of...

Uneaten food (HAR HAR HAR!), that rare commodity, is set aside for the dogs' treats. Plastic lids off assorted canisters such as potato sticks, or canned nut lids, are used as Hillbilly coasters (which are in turn, though not authorized by the management of this Mansion, used to collect clipped toenails).

So... it should come as no surprise that on Sunday evening, The Pony offered Mrs. HM his skin.

"I don't want it. I don't have any use for it. I'm going to have my bath. Do YOU want my skin?"

"Sure. Leave it in the kitchen. I'll take it down with my supper."

Well. My supper was quite filling. Crispy, beer-battered fish (the frozen kind, of course, I didn't build a boat from the oaks in the back yard, borrow Farmer H's trailer without authorization, launch myself into the river, reel in my catch, brew up some beer for battering, and fry them myself), and a baked potato. Once finished, I gazed sadly (longingly!) at The Pony's skin, right there at my left elbow, in front of New Delly in my now-lit basement lair. Looks like the dogs will feast on The Pony's skin.


I'm pretty sure the dogs will eat it. The Pony's skin is well-buttered. And look at all the meaty bits left clinging. This was a giant baker meant to go with the tiny scrap of Lowe's Parking Lot Filet Mignon that Farmer H bought a while back. Three of which are in the freezer. Yet he's been dragging his feet to grill them. So I figured we should at least use up the potatoes.

We hate to let anything go to waste around here.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Those ARE meaty skins. You could have saved them, put some cheese, some bacon bits and some sour cream on them... another meal (or snack).

But too late, I imagine. I'm sure the dogs have gotten them, gobbled them, and forgotten them by now.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I though about that. I have no bacon bits. Carbs aren't good for Farmer H, though he's in denial. He'd already had a large potato, so another day of potato carbs was not in my plans for him. The Pony doesn't like potato skins, but Genius would have been all over them. As for me, the less work I can get away with, the better.

I asked Farmer H to toss the taters off the back porch the next day, as he was walking through the kitchen seeking a better signal on his phone, to send fishing pole pictures to a guy. He ignored me. The Pony grabbed them and did the deed. Neither lamented the loss of meaty potato skins.

River said...

For just a second there I thought The Pony was shedding...
SO relieved to see it was potato skins.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
At least you didn't think I'd harvested his pelt!