Monday, June 21, 2021

The Pony Gets A Little Horsey

That's what my dad used to call it when kids were on the verge of being disrespectful to adults. Not me, of course! I must have heard him talking to my sister the little future ex-ex-mayor's wife! Anyhoo... The Pony was feeling his oats and kicking up his heels Sunday night, as we were preparing a deep dish Chef Boyardee pizza for supper.
 
I was parched, having just returned late from my town trip (more on that in the future and elsewhere), and now at 5:30 I was putting off my lupper and magical elixir until supper and dishes were done. The Pony has a collection of two-liter bottles of soda dregs left from his Little Caesars feasts. I have cut back on my bottled Diet Coke, but wanted a cup of soda. The SUGAR variety favored by The Pony.
 
"Which do you want? The Pepsi? Or how about the Dr. Pepper. It's the newest."
 
"Yeah. I'll have some Dr. Pepper."
 
I took a red Solo cup and handed it across the cutting block for The Pony to add ice.
 
"Ask your dad if he wants some of his Wild Turkey before supper. Hey! Do we still have all those packages and packages of Solo cups you told me not to buy? I don't know WHY YOU PEOPLE have to leave a whole package on the cutting block, with only three cups left in it!"
 
"To be fair, Mother, I am not the one using the Solo cups. It's YOU and DAD with your DRINKS! Everyone knows that I drink my wine out of the BOTTLE!"

The Pony went to the pantry to look for the hoard of Solo cups.

"Huh. I don't know where they all went. But here's a pack with... uh... ONLY THREE CUPS in it!"

"So THERE, I was right! That's what you get for being horsey!"

Guess I'll put them on the next Devil's Playground list for The Pony. Then he can chastise HIMSELF for buying extra Solo cups when he finds the rest.

5 comments:

River said...

Heh, my older son drinks his wine straight from the bottle too. The younger boy gets posh and uses proper wine glasses, but rarely moves them to the sink so they dry with red rings in them. He doesn't live with me so that's not my problem, he has to clean his own glasses.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The Pony's excuse is that he's not dirtying a glass. Even though the last time I saw him drink his wine from a "glass," it was indeed a red SOLO cup, at the marred coffee table in the living room. I remember that, because I was wondering if wine stains through wax stuck to carpet. You know, in case The Pony "accidentally" spilled some.

Genius would be the one to use a proper wine glass. He would probably run water in it, since he does his own dishes now (by way of a dishwasher, I'm sure).

Sioux Roslawski said...

You should tell Pony that wine (I think) is cheaper by the box. He could still drink it in a green way, and just put his mouth under the spigot...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The Pony is always thinking of you and saving you from the wine glass clean up. I may have been known to drink wine from a coffee cup ...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The Pony always buys a different kind. I suppose he's going to try them all. That would be a LOT of wine, and a LOT of boxes. Maybe Farmer H could built an above-ground wine cellar out of them, as a new themed shed.

***
Kathy,
The Pony is selfless like that. I'm pretty sure he inherited it from ME. You NEED to greet your customers while having a morning cup of wine!