I don't buy T-Hoe's gas at the Gas Station Chicken Store. It has nothing to do with prices, or the fact that they have the old-style pumps that don't take cards. It has everything to do with accessibility. The gas pumps are on concrete islands, and my knees don't like to step up and down without a rail. So I get T-Hoe's gas on a level Casey's parking lot, even though I'd rather my business go to the Gas Station Chicken Store, a mom and pop operation, rather than a corporate chain.
Anyhoo... lots of people get gas there, even though they have to go inside to pay. It's on a corner, by the stoplight. Just a block off the interstate. Most of the customers are regulars, but plenty of travelers stop in. Sometimes Fave has to tell them how to use the pumps. Which is to lift the lever on the side to start the flow, after they've paid. Or if it's a regular, she'll go ahead and turn on the pump when they pull up, and they can pump before paying.
On Friday, I was behind a big ol' good ol' boy in overalls. He was paying for his gas. There seemed to be a snafu. I gathered that from overhearing him tell Fave:
"Yeah. I got out and started pumping, and she just looked at me. Then I figured it out. I said, 'Oh, did you already pay for this pump?' and she said, 'Yeah.' So make sure you take that off her credit card. I told her I'd tell you."
I don't know how they solved the situation. Maybe Good Ol' Boy finished her amount, and his, and then said he'd pay inside for hers again. All I know is that Fave said that gal had pre-paid $20, and that she took it off her credit card. I guess Good Ol' Boy figured Fave had turned that pump on for him, but then saw the gal come out after she paid.
Oh, what a tangled web, when nobody was even trying to deceive.
No comments:
Post a Comment