Thursday, August 6, 2026

Listening To Me But Not Hearing Me. Again.

Tuesday, I made a meatloaf and green beans with bacon and potatoes for Farmer H's supper. It's more convenient for me to make them late morning/early afternoon. Before I go to town. Then I can warm them up when Farmer H decides to come home. I don't get (quite) as annoyed like when I plan on having it ready at a certain time, and he's not here. Plus, Tthe house smells really good for the afternoon. 

I was in the bathroom changing from town clothes to Mansion clothes around 4:00 when Farmer H showed up. He was in his recliner when I came out.

"Did you smell the meatloaf?"

"I was too busy to vote today."

"Um. Okay. But that has nothing to do with what I just asked you."

"I thought you asked me did I vote?" 
[There were just a couple of amendments on the ballot]

"No... I asked if you smelled the meatloaf."

"Heh, heh! I DID smell the meatloaf when I come in. It smells good."

Farmer H really enjoyed the meatloaf. Much more than he would have enjoyed voting.

6 comments:

jj said...

Oh Hick, lol!! You remind me though I have not made a meatloaf in a while, and I so miss it :')

Hillbilly Mom said...

jj,
I gotta say, I make a really good meatloaf! It smelled so delicious! Yet I resisted, and made a wiser choice with some chicken. Farmer H is having it for four nights, and they are generous servings. He's not complaining!

Hot Diggity Dog said...

I am often the recipient of answers having absolutely nothing to do with the question. The thing that puzzles me is that it doesn't even sound like what I as, or I could figure it out. The Patient enjoys meatloaf cold on a sandwich. That triggers my gag reflex! I have taken to using ground turkey mixed with ground beef in an attempt to make it less fatty. He likes ketchup and that camouflages the turkey. Does not work with burgers!

River said...

"loaf" does sound a bit like "vote" when a person only picks up the last words of a sentence. Why do you not eat your own delicious meatloaf?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Of course you are! We are married to the same man, it seems. My mom used to eat cold GREEN BEAN SANDWICHES!

I used foil to line the glass baking pan, and then after refrigerating the whole thing, I cut the meatloaf into four sections, and put them in individual containers. That left the foil with a ring (well, rectangle) of congealed fat. It is great for swiping the dog bread in for their treats.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The deliciousness comes from FAT! So I choose a lower-calorie option. As for the hearing, it's not like I asked him if he smelled the meat VOTE, heh, heh! He just needs to ask me to repeat it when he doesn't hear the whole thing, and not pretend and respond to a single word he thinks he heard.