I haven't talked to The Pony yet to see how it's going, setting up the Halo 5 Collar to keep Pepper GPS-ically on our property. I told Farmer H that I was worried about getting the right coordinates for the 10 acres next to the BARn field. It has no address. Just the street name. Farmer H says it will show up on the satellite view. That the landmarks will be visible, like where our little cedar forest ends, and where he stops mowing. The back border is basically the creek, so hopefully it won't be blocked by leafy trees.
We will have to find the leashes that Farmer H keeps proclaiming that he had. I know I bought a new one when I got Pepper's regular collar. I don't know where Farmer H put it. He declared that he already had a leash for taking Pepper to the vet for his operation.
I swear, Farmer H loses leashes like the boys used to lose school scissors and rulers. Every year, they would bring their stuff home on the last day of elementary school, but then it would be gone when time to start again in the fall. I told Genius that he must have a stash of them under the floorboards of his bedroom. Like "The Telltale Heart." Which he actually used later during his high school years. Not the missing scissors and ruler, but the theme of "The Telltale Heart," for his PEEPS diorama that was an assignment for English class.
Anyhoo... The Pony and I need to give Farmer H a stern talking-to about training Pepper. None of his verbose lectures. Just short commands. No elaboration. No shaming. It's really hard for Farmer H to control his overactive mouth.
Farmer H is busy on the weekend, with his SUS2.5, and making two trips to the city to get cheap rich people cabinets from a remodel. Monday would be the likely day to start training, but it's supposed to rain Monday and Tuesday right now.
We need to get this show on the road. I hope Pepper has been staying home at night. I hear him barking out front. Wouldn't it be rich if I caught the neighbor dogs over here making OUR dog bark? I doubt that it's them. More likely a possum or armadillo.
3 comments:
Are you saying those leashes are NOT handily on a hook by the door?? I can hear my long-dead Mum asking WHY?? (and she would get right up in your face with it too, very un-nerving) I also hope Farmer H uses single word commands, stop, sit, stay, come along with Pepper's name.and a single (one!) treat when the command is obeyed. I hope Pepper is a fast learner after being allowed to roam freely until now. I think your acreage is plenty of running space.
River,
With previous dogs, the leash was hung on a nail in the garage. We didn't use the leash often, just for trips to the vet. I don't know when Farmer H started "losing" the leashes. The boys and I used to take the dogs and cats to the vet. Then it became Farmer H's job once he retired and The Pony went off to college.
I agree, it should be "Pepper! No!" Or "Pepper! Come!" Not something like, "Get back here, you stupid dog, before you get shocked!" Pepper does love treats, so I think he will be a fast learner. Though baffled at first that he now has boundaries.
Training for Farmer H and Pepper all at once! I wish you and Pony an ounce of luck ;)
Post a Comment