Wednesday, February 25, 2015

There Must Be 50 Weeks To Do Lunch Duty

As all good things must end...so, too, did my magnificent 10-DAY WEEKEND! The only person I know who can top that is my best ol' ex-teaching buddy, Mabel, who has AN INFINITY WEEKEND! Which she is not too shy to tell me about. Sometimes she calls it her FOREVER VACATION.

Meanwhile, back at the old salt mines...WAIT! It's not the old salt mines. It's the updated old low-sodium, tasteless mines. Anyhoo...Tuesday at the Semi-Weekly Meeting of the Newmentia Lunch Time Think Tank, it was announced that Mrs. Hillbilly Mom is so worried about having withdrawal symptoms when she retires that she has volunteered to do lunch duty every single day from now until she begins her very own FOREVER VACATION. Au contraire.

I believe that somehow my meaning was lost or misconstrued, so I repeated myself, at the risk of being crude: "I do not regret one bit that my entire lunch duty week was consumed by snow days." There was no mass exodus as Jack slipped out the back, Gus hopped on the bus, and Lee dropped off the key. However, I can not be sure whether or not Stan made a new plan.

It didn't seem to grieve anybody to see me in such pain from losing my lunch...duty. A few did, however, say they would appreciate it if I could just explain those 50 weeks of lunch duty. Chewing mouths gaped open as if on hinges. We agreed to sleep on it tonight, and believed that in the morning we would see the light.

I kind of think they are a bit jealous. It can't be that they are only thinking about a rearrangement of the duty schedule so that they have one less person, thus more opportunities to duty away their lunch.

Bring on the half-hot-dogs and unspotted buns! Mrs. Hillbilly Mom is ready to feast at 10:53.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post came up a bit short today. Or was I talkin' 'bout Rhymin' Simon?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Slow down, you move too fast. I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.

I just saw Paul down by the school yard. He was headed toward the 59th Street bridge over troubled waters. I called him Betty, but he said to call him Al. I asked if he was still crazy after all these years, and that Julio guy with him said, "Box her!" Then all I heard was the sound of silence.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sorry your off time ended with snow still on the ground.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I'm handlin' it. It's worse that my time on started with an icy mix newly-fallen.