Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Pony Lost His Marbles

Remember those marbles The Pony asked for? The ones from my mom's house? The only item he wanted, when the other grandkids got guns and a chandelier and rings and an antique banker's desk? This morning, Farmer H brought home two boxes of odds and ends from Mom's basement.

Farmer H: "Pony. There are some marbles in the bottom. Go get that container of your other ones, and put them in."

Pony: "I don't know where they are."

HM: "You mean you lost your marbles?"

Pony: "Well, Dad made me move them, and I haven't seen them since."

Farmer H: "Go look in the basement. Around them boxes we carried down. I know they're in the house. I sat right here in the living room looking at them."

Off they went, tearing the house apart looking. The living room. The basement. The Pony's room. The kitchen. No marbles.

HM: "Pony. Are you sure they're not in your room?"

Pony: "Hmm...I think I might have put them in there because Dad told me to get them out of the living room."

Off he went, and returned within 30 seconds. Let the record show that the Mansion is not all that big. He poured the marbles into the plastic container with the least already in it. They puttered around in the basement for a bit, then Farmer H and The Pony went outside to pick up sticks left from the storm Wednesday night. I gathered up my shopping list and headed off to Save A Lot.

As I went through the living room, I saw the two plastic containers of marbles sitting on the coffee table.

Things don't stay lost long, and they don't stay put away long at the Mansion.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You know, they say that people lose their marbles when they don't have anything to do during the day... when they're less active, when their mind is just allowed to flit around wherever it wants to.

I think you need to take back your retirement. You want to hang onto all your marbles, don't you?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I do not think that will be necessary, Madam. My retirement shall stand. My mind will be quite busy rejoicing that I AM NOT WORKING! Each and every weekday between 7:30 and 3:10.