Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Lazy Woman's 7- Layer Salad

Today's picture should be a little more appetizing than yesterday's. PROMISE! Unless you are some kind of crazy cannibal who likes your meals served rare.

I love a good 7-layer salad. Thing is, they take a while to make, what with their 7 layers and all. I figured what I needed was a poor man's 7-layer salad. Okay. More specifically, a LAZY WOMAN'S 7-layer salad. So I set about making it happen.

LAYER 1. I didn't want to take time hacking at romaine lettuce leaves, so I figured I could use my shredded iceberg that I have for Super Nachos.

LAYER 2. Frozen peas? Already had some in the mini deep freeze in the laundry room, left over from the real 7-layer salad at Easter.

LAYER 3. Those little green onions? I could use the regular white onions I have for Super Nachos.

LAYER 4.  I drove to Save A Lot for a dozen eggs, because our chickens are quite inconsiderate in laying those FRESH eggs, which are so very hard to peel once boiled.

LAYER 5. Mayo? Still had some in Frig II. The real Kraft kind. Not store brand or that b@stardly Miracle Whip.

LAYER 6. Now you might think I'd take a shortcut on the cheese, and used that part-skim shredded kind in a bag. Nope. The best part of the 7-layer salad is the cheese. I fished around in the back of Frig II's midsection, and found a two-pound block of extra-sharp cheddar.

LAYER 7. Bacon? Too much work. I picked up some REAL bacon bits in a resealable bag at Save A Lot.

Yum. All 7 layers present and accounted for.

Here's how a Lazy Woman's 7-Layer Salad turns out.


Uh huh. An INDIVIDUAL 7-layer salad. Don't be thinking that Farmer H was getting one of these! Actually, he was offered, and declined. The Pony only eats lettuce, cheese, ranch, and croutons in his salad. So he was out of the running as well.

I meant to take a picture before I started feeding, but this was just so darn good that you're lucky I stopped myself while some was still left in the bowl. Let the record show that I did NOT put that single pea right in the middle for artsy-fartsy purposes. It scrambled its way to the top on its own during my feeding frenzy. Actually, I cheated a bit on this one, and on the second trip to Save A Lot in two days, I got some little green onions to mix with the white onions.

I must say, my little big salad was real, and it was spectacular. And I'M taking credit for it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum--one for each later!!

Sioux Roslawski said...

AND you didn't have to take it into the steam room and fall on top of it to ascertain its spectacular-ness.

This might be a side business for you. Streamlining time-consuming recipes for the busy/lazy woman.

The salad looks delicious. But you lost me with the hardboiled egg. (I only do scrambled.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I think it's a little unfair to count the mayo as an actual layer...but that's the recipe. The real one with the real ingredients is better, but takes a lot of work, and a lot of eating!

****
Sioux,
That's right. Some people might call it "breathtaking," but not ME! I guess you could put scrambled eggs in it. Or come up with another layer like mushrooms. But not tomatoes! They would taste good, but make it soggy. Unless you left them whole, those little cherry or grape tomatoes, which would SPIT THEIR JUICE OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AS YOU BIT THEM!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I am also a fan of the 7 layer salad. I have tried making it small, for two, but it is just not the same. It is good, mind you, but there is just something about all that produce and bacon and cheese piled into a huge casserole dish at a church supper that makes my mouth begin to water.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, not quite the same, but I still get that feeling that it's Thanksgiving or Christmas or Easter with the first couple bites.