Sunday, March 31, 2024

The Meat Master Assists

I spent Saturday getting food ready for our Easter feast on Sunday. It's a thankless job, but makes the Mansion smell delicious, and at least there's food for a few days with little effort. 

Farmer H contributed by slicing the ham. Granted, it's a spiral ham, already cut, except for freeing the slices from the bone. It's already fully cooked, so I just have to warm up some slices for the meal, not cook the entire ham.

Anyhoo... I appreciate Farmer H doing that task, because I'd spent the morning on the roasted vegetables with bacon, and had the evening for deviling the eggs and washing the rest of the dishes, and then Easter morning to construct the 7-layer salad. The other items don't take much time, and The Pony will help.

Of course slicing the ham was in Farmer H's wheelhouse. He's the meat master, you know! I set out everything he would need. A giant tray for the ham, the container to put the slices of ham in, another to put smaller pieces in for The Pony, who prefers to make mini sandwiches on Sister Schubert's Rolls. I set out the big knife. Farmer H did not want for tools needed to do his task. Farmer H also put the bone in the large baggie I'd set out. And chunks of ham in another to go in future beans. Yes, the chunks were much larger than what I would have made them. But it beats doing it myself.

I guess I should find a way to tie meat into other tasks I would like Farmer H to complete!

2 comments:

River said...

I don't think we ever bothered to bake or warm the ham back in the days when we were a full family and had a big ham each year at Christmas. Easter was usually just regular food or a barbecued meal. but we just sliced the ham cold and served it with potato salad and green salads and fruit. I did freeze leftovers for pea and ham soups in the following winter.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I would be fine with cold ham, since I like mine on a sandwich anyway. Farmer H expects a hot meal, but he probably wouldn't complain, as long as he had MEAT! It's kind of the tradition here to have the ham hot for a special meal like Easter or Christmas. Farmer H prefers a thick slice, like a ham steak.