I'm so glad I chose the right bandaid to cover up my ugly arm hole during time spent in public. I knew I had finally found a kind that didn't make my skin turn red and itch. I just couldn't remember WHICH kind. I knew it was some type of supermarket bandaid, not the real brand. The problem was, I had two varieties on my kitchen counter.
Don't go thinking I use my food prep area for treating wounds, heh, heh! Even though the last few pictures were posed on my cutting board. The kitchen counter is where I charge my phone, so handy to pick up up and take a photo there. Also, the kitchen is where I'm most likely to need a bandaid in a hurry. It's not like I'm going to injure myself in the bathroom, and fetch one out of the medicine cabinet. By the time I made it to the bathroom with a dripping wound, there'd be a suspicious trail of blood across the carpet. Maybe I should stash some bandaids on the mantle of the fake electric fireplace!
Anyhoo... here's the best-ever bandaid for my papery thin old lady skin:
I found this kind at 10Box. I think I've figured out why they don't make me itch.
See that last line before the fine print? "Not made with natural rubber latex." I think I might have a sensitivity to latex. Or natural rubber. I need to read the package for that clear tape I used around the gauze bandage. Because that made me VERY itchy, just like other bandaids.
Here's the other bandaids that were on the kitchen counter. I need to move this box to the bathroom medicine cabinet. Farmer H can still use them. He's not at all sensitive, heh, heh.
This came from Country Mart. Of course I didn't know at the time I bought them that they would make me itch. Both boxes say "Comparable to Johnson & Johnson"(this one), or "Comparable to Band Aid" (the other box). Both referring to the Johnson & Johnson Band Aid brand. I don't know if I've tried the actual Band Aid fabric version to see if I can tolerate it. No need, as long as I have my 10Box bandages.
No mention of natural rubber latex on this one. Or should I say no mention of not containing it.
I don't know when my skin decided it was allergic to the stickiness of bandaids. I never had a problem when I was younger. I guess it's like with the ampicillin reaction, and the cefprozil reaction. I wasn't allergic until I WAS.




4 comments:
I discovered a sensitivity to latex in my teens when a boyfriend wore a condom and I got a terrible itchy rash you-know-where. Glad you found a product that works for you.
River,
It's great, as long as I remember which one. In your case, I might have worried it was not an allergy, but an unfortunate malady spread by such contact.
Hi, I thought you might want to know that the box on the second brand of bandages (the ones you say you'll put in the bathroom for your husband to use) DOES in fact say 'Not made with natural rubber latex'. It's in the bottom left corner as you look at the picture, the last line in bold letters. Just above the very last line that says 'This product is not manufactured...etc. So they should be safe for you to use too. (delurking for the silliest reasons...).
Accidental nomad,
IT DOES! I totally missed that! But I know these are not safe for my papery thin old lady skin, because that's what I used the last time I put on an actual bandaid, and it made me itch for days, with a raised red border. I just couldn't remember which of these two kinds I had used. Now I know, because the current one is fine.
So I must not have a problem with the latex, but maybe with the adhesive. Since it also happened with the clear tape, which I don't think has latex in it. Maybe it's a different adhesive for the brands, or maybe a difference in the sheer and the mesh bandaids.
Dang it! My investigation continues. But at least I have a kind that works for now. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to make myself a note somewhere, so I don't rely on the NO NATURAL RUBBER LATEX to think it's safe. I'm going to write on those two boxes: GOOD and BAD.
Post a Comment