Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The De-Toothing Of Big Mouth

Has anybody been practicing the world's smallest violin? Or at least the silent piano? Because the #1 son will need some cheering up on Thursday. He's having his wisdom teeth cut out at 9:30 a.m.

He's got a small oral cavity for a person with such a big mouth. He's known for six months that this was going to happen, but wanted to put it off until school was out. Wednesday, he completes his A+ hours for summer school.

The doctor's secretary says that all he needs to do is abstain from food and drink for six hours, and show up at the stroke of 9:30. That the entire process will take about 30 minutes. He can have anesthesia or not. He can even decide when he walks in, as long as he hasn't eaten or drunk in six hours. Of course I said he'd be knocked out. I know him.

After watching the Duggar girls have their teeth removed on TV, I definitely believed this secretary when she said that ALL patients have swelling. But she also said that many folks leave the office and go out for breakfast. That some don't even have pain. Again, I know my boy.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was 24. That's why I'm so smart now, heh heh. I soaked all the knowledge out of them first. My dentist would only take out two at a time. Right side. Then left side a few weeks later. I don't remember any pain. What I DO remember is that I saw spots. Spots on my arms. Spots on my legs. Spots on my palms. Spots inside my mouth. A 30-mile trip to the ER later, I was the proud owner of an ampicillin allergy. So we'll need to watch out for the antibiotics, even though The Pony is allergic and #1 has shown no signs to date.

Farmer H is off that day and the next. He said he would take #1 for his de-toothing. When he learned of this news, #1 sighed. I think he might have even whined, "Noooooo..." So I will be going along. His appointment is in Festus. It's the least I can do.

My heart goes out to my big little fella. Even though I am deathly afraid of dentists, I would take his place if I could. It will hurt me more than it will him.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Let's hope the dentist is not like the one in "Little Shop of Horrors" (played by Steve Martin in the movie).

I am sure #1 will be glad that you go along. Dads are sometimes worthless when it comes to compassion...

Chickadee said...

Ugh I feel for #1. I take it the teeth didn't emerge completely based on your "cutting out" comment. UGH.

I was fortunate in that my wisdom teeth emerged like the other teeth so the oral surgeon just had to yank them out. But I asked to be knocked out. I am squeamish.

Tell #1 to get knocked out. Best way. None of that being conscious crap. I think the smells and sounds would be too much.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
And they're not real good at filling out the paperwork, either. But let a bug crawl across the kid's face during the tooth extraction, and that bug's a goner.

*************
Chick,
Oh, he's going to be knocked out all right. He confirmed that this afternoon. And can you believe that he didn't want to hear the play-by-play on those Duggar girls' tooth-removal?

As long as I get the nitrous, I'm okay with being conscious. Him...I don't think so. He almost broke the arms off his regular dentist's chair while getting a filling.