Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Nobody Laughed To See Such Sport, And Hillbilly Mom Ran Away With The Handbasket

Well, HERE'S a fine how-do-you do!

There's no school tomorrow at Newmentia, BUT TEACHERS ARE EXPECTED TO REPORT FOR WORK!

I can't believe we are going to serve five-and-a-half hours of contract time! It's as if we are expected to work for that money! Have you ever heard such insanity? I, for one, have not. In all my born educational days, this is the first time I've ever gotten wind of teachers actually showing up to perform other duties as needed per their contract. Never mind that with the current crop of snow days, we are actually falling short of our contracted amount of days even after the school year is extended. That's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. Can't get it back. So we have to come in for a couple of workdays after the last student day, and before summer school starts. That's fair. It's not my fault you can't create calendar days at the end of the month.

So...I'm off to work tomorrow morning. The Pony does not seem at all upset that he is not having school, and that he will be staying with his grandma so he doesn't starve to death.

I expect a faculty meeting, and hopefully a pleasant respite of individual work in my classroom. Worst case scenario would be departmental meetings. That's where you talk about even more new stuff that you really should implement, while bemoaning the fact that it's taking up time that you could be using to implement that last new stuff you discussed at the previous departmental meeting.

I must renew efforts to break ground on my proposed handbasket factory.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

And don't forget the new stuff that the district is mandating...to replace some other not-quite-new stuff that was too expensive to continue/wasn't really working.

I'd rather be working with the kids than being in a long meeting. Take something sharp so you can poke yourself occasionally so you don't snooze too long.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Heh, heh. That reminds me of one of my favorite deleted scenes. In the movie "Heartbreakers," Sigourney Weaver had lunch with a bunch of stuffy rich folks, and to keep herself awake, she grabbed a fork off the table and jammed it into her thigh. The not-deleted scenes, aka the rest of the movie, are funny too, though quite inappropriate.