Friday, October 13, 2017

A Crap Sandwich Served Up On A Flimsy Paper Plate

Friday the 13th has not been kind to Mrs. Hillbilly Mom!

I left for town to mail the boys' weekly letters at the main post office. I got there in plenty of time. During my travels, I heard NO good songs on the radio. The parking lots of Waterside Mart and Casey's were full to the brim, so I had to park all cattywompus down by the drive-thru exit at Waterside Mart, and at the edge of the grass under the sign where the Casey's workers park. I found no pennies, despite stopping at five different establishments. AND I won ZERO dollars on my scratch-off tickets!

In contrast, Farmer H found TWO pennies today! Uh huh. A 2015 and a 1984. He found one of them at the CASEY'S where I usually stop when I go to the bank. I didn't go out to that one today. But it seems there was a penny waiting for me, and FARMER H snagged it! The other penny, he found inside a car dealer's building.

"I went in to talk to somebody, and there it was, right on the floor by his desk. I leaned over and picked it up! He didn't say nothin'."

Of course not. Because pennies are not special to other people like they are to Mrs. HM. I can't call that one my rightful penny, though, because I don't hang out at car lots. I DID tell Farmer H to go to that one, though! He's looking for a cheap car for our neighbor Timmy. I guess between that, and the good deed Farmer H did yesterday by driving a strange woman 12 miles to the substance abuse treatment center, he was due for some Even Stevening.

I felt like that episode of Seinfeld, "The Opposite," where Elaine finds herself turning into George.

Maybe Farmer H should have bought my lottery tickets for me.

4 comments:

River said...

I'm sure the luck will turn your way again soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow :)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It will return sometime. I don't complain when I'm having a run of GOOD luck...but I know that the good won't last forever, either.

Anonymous said...

Why can't the good last forever?

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
You tell ME! I always kind of hope it will. I get accustomed to winning, and then expect it every time I buy tickets. I might have a good run for 10 days or two weeks...but then I hit a losing streak! I've played the lottery since before Genius was born, and the odds given on the tickets always prove to be accurate over the long run.

Same thing with life. You have some really good days, and then everything seems to go wrong for a little while. I used to ride to my job at the unemployment office with a retired Air Force guy who'd worked in communications, like tracking aircraft. He was a computer nerd, and used to do biorhythm charts for people if they asked. Some were surprisingly accurate.