Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Just When He Was Almost Off The Hook

Oh, dear! I was going to let Farmer H off the hook today (temporarily, of course) and skewer Copper the neighbor dog instead. But no. Farmer H had to go and call me. Call me with his tighty-whities all in a wad over information he got from his old employer.

Sweet Gummi Mary! He's got to let that crap go!

Here's the deal. Farmer H got a text from Dude X. I'll use that instead of his name. Farmer H was all in a tizzy, talking about how Dude was forwarding me an email he got at work, addressed to Farmer H's name, from a major bank (with which we have our ONE credit card), talking about a payment to a man we never heard of. Not a company. A man. First and last name. And an amount of over $3000.

First of all, that sounded mighty suspicious to me. Because we have not sent a payment to anyone in that amount. In fact, our credit card bill this month was under ten dollars. So I told Farmer H it was probably just 5PAM, and nothing to worry about. Yet he went on, still in his tizzy, those tighty-whities creeping up behind, that I needed to check that email, and check our account.

Of course I didn't get the forwarded email. Farmer H was getting angrier by the minute that I wasn't all in a tizzy myself. First of all, because I said I didn't even know who he was talking about. I don't remember Dude X's name. He's the guy who replaced Farmer H. But I don't recall hearing his name more than once or twice. So once I figured out who he was, I said I'd look at the email. IF I ever got it. I had to switch my accounts, since I was trying to put out a timely blog post on my other blog.

Farmer H said he'd call Dude back and have him resend, since I asked if I was supposed to sit here in my dark basement lair looking at the screen waiting for the email to come in. In the meantime, I found the forwarded email in my 5PAM folder, with the message that it had been sent there because it contained content that's typically used in 5PAM messages. DUH!

Soo...looking at it, I saw that it was FROM this financial institution with the email of [firstname@ashoecompanyusa.com]. Now why would some guy from a shoe company be sending email from a financial institution? Don't they have dedicated email for that kind of business? You know. To look professional and all.

Of course there was a link that said View your detailed information here. No. I don't think so. I'm not clicking on a link within a questionable email from a shoe company guy representing a financial institution. I DID, however, hover over it and check the web address. Funny how my detailed information could be found at a cake company in the UK! Funnier how nothing I could click on in that email could lead me to the financial institution's website!

Nope. Not even stressing. And especially not clicking!

Hey! How did Farmer H's replacement open up an email addressed to Farmer H, anyway? I thought there were passwords for that kind of thing! And that once you left the company, they disabled your email, so you couldn't do sketchy things like you still work for them. I know mine was disabled toot-sweet! Or maybe I'm a shadier character than Farmer H...

Anyhoo...I am now going to take this printout up to Farmer H, who has arrived back at the Mansion (YIPPEE! Pardon me while I step away from New Delly to perform a few cartwheels!) after his daily trip to Lowe's, and is likely in need of some help unwadding his tighty-whities.

Neighbor dog Copper Jack doesn't know how lucky he is to have Farmer H.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why won't he believe it's spam? He must be smarter than that!! What would he think if it was a Nigerian prince?

River said...

So glad Hick has you to keep his financials safe. There are new scams going around here too, but I'm on the lookout and won't get caught.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Men are so gullible. Now I wonder what Copper Jack has done.

Hillbilly Mom said...

fishducky,
I don't know! After he looked at the printout, and quizzed me as to what I meant by my notation "If you hover over this link," the operative word there being HOVER, which he totally pronounced as something with about 12 syllables, he all at once said, "Well, that's nothing. There's not even our account number on it."

So then I guess he believed it WAS 5PAM, since according to him, 5PAMMERS already have your account number when they're tricking you into giving up information!

***
River,
We used to have INTERNET SECURITY MONTH at school, and the IT guy would try to trick us into clicking on fake links, and have a drawing for prizes for people who weren't fooled. Which didn't motivate me nearly as much as the announcement he made of the people who were fooled the most!

***
Kathy,
Yes. They're quite simple. There's no way one could even survive in a battle of wits with a teenage girl just learning her craft.

Copper Jack's story is coming soon, to a supersecret blog near you!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Unwadding his tighty-whities?

Unlike the Brokeback Mountain man, I CAN quit you. Please do not ever mention images like this again...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Never again? Oh...you are in for such a TREAT! And soon!