Sunday, May 12, 2019

I Am SO Not Worthy

My little dog Jack runs to greet me when I return from town. He comes in the garage, and waits for me to speak to him before letting him out the people door. If I get groceries out of T-Hoe's rear, Jack runs around there, all smiley and wiggly, waiting for a pat. I've even almost taught him not to jump up. Like today, all rainy, with his paws picking up road dust from the garage floor. All I had to do was hold my hand up, like whoa, and sternly and calmly tell him "NO. Jack, NO." He sat down and waited for his pat.

I just typed that last sentence as "He sad down..." Subconscious foreshadowing.

Once bags were carried in, I found a little treat for my fleabags. They all three had a slice of 21 Grains and Seeds Bread, and some old stale Beer Cheese Potato Chips. They weren't very good, even when fresh. They were just like kettle-fried chips. No special flavor.

Anyhoo... I gave Jack his slice of bread first, then put Juno's inside her house for her snout to grab it, then tossed one over her dog house for Copper Jack. By that time, my little Jack was dancing around, not eating his bread, hoping for something better. I dumped out some chips for him, which he sniffed, and left alone. Jack watched closely as I put a handful of chips inside Juno's house. Then followed me as I went behind it to pour some out for Copper Jack.

Well! My little Jack turned into a gnashing whirlwind of viciousness, jumping at Copper Jack's snout like they do in play. But this wasn't play. Copper Jack turned his head and walked away, stiff-legged, but didn't engage. I yelled at my ill-mannered beast.

"NO! JACK! BAD DOG! NO! BAD DOG!!!

Jack came to his senses. He slunk back to me, belly on the porch boards, and put his head on my foot.

"There. That's a good boy. Come on. You have some. Leave him alone." Which I know sounded to him like "WAH WAH WAH," Charlie Brown teacher talk. I ruffled his double-coated back fur, and patted his head.

I went back to the kitchen door. Jack crawled along after me. "It's okay. Come on. I'm not mad. Here. Have your treat."

By this time, Juno had come out of her house, looking for more. She skittered around, hearing Copper Jack crunching, but not seeing him. I poured out the rest of the chips for Juno. Jack still wasn't eating his treat. I patted him and sweet-talked him, but he was still belly-to-the-ground. Sheesh! What a sensitive little fellow!

"You'd better eat your treat, Jack, or Juno's going to get it!"

Jack turned his back on me, tail tucked tightly between his legs, head down, and walked around the kitchen alcove toward the water bowl and food pans.

I feel SO BAD for hurting his feelings! Juno gets over stuff like that much faster. All it takes is a hug, and she's back to normal. I expect Jack to be more aggressive, because he's a dude. Unoperated upon. He defers to Juno, since she was top dog when he arrived. He's buddies with Copper Jack. I was surprised by his outburst, and I won't have it! Thus the yelling. Which was such a minor thing! Fifteen seconds, tops.

I hope Jack has forgiven me by tomorrow!


There's my sunny-natured little guy, in happier times.

2 comments:

River said...

Wow, he really did get upset. I hope he forgives and forgets by the time he's had a nap. He's such a cutie. Did he eventually eat his treat?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Sadly, JUNO ate Jack's treat! Jack was his happy self by the next day. At least he's not like our old dog Tank the beagle, who would hold a grudge for days.