Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Crisis Has Been Mediated

Good ol' Even Steven! I won't go so far as Jerry Seinfeld tossing a $20 bill out the window because he knew he'd find one to replace it... but I'm generally confident that Even Steven will balance my life eventually.

A couple days ago, I revealed the very real crisis of NO DIET COKE at The Gas Station Chicken Store. The Man Owner said they wouldn't have it until Wednesday. Well, you know Mrs. HM, the eternal optimist! With a sunny outlook, rarely complaining, sipping from her half-full yellow bubba cup of ice water as she sails through life, never having met a crisis she didn't like. Okay. At least the last part is true. Crises give me something to complain about.

Anyhoo, on Tuesday, as I picked up a winning scratcher ($15) to cash in at The Gas Station Chicken Store before clambering out of T-Hoe, I stopped to add a dollar to my pocket, and count out 69 cents from my change cup on the console. Just in case. I'd hate to find my magical elixir available again, and not have money to pay.

There was a line (!) waiting to pay, so I went on around the back of the aisle to come up at the end of it, planning to bypass the soda fountain and not look foolish for pulling a cup before noticing the "OUT" sign taped to the Diet Coke spigot. Of course I turned my head to look at it on my way by.

THE SIGN WAS GONE!

I felt a bit light-headed. But I knew just what would cure that: A 44 OZ DIET COKE! Good thing I had my money with me! I poured my magical elixir into the foam cup. Just a tad too much. Don't want it sloshing in the cup while T-Hoe bounces up that hill Farmer H blacktopped. Poorly. So I took a sip. Sweet Gummi Mary! I didn't remember the Diet Coke from The Gas Station Chicken Store being SO delicious!

When it was my turn, the Man Owner was at the left (the secondary) register, waiting on a guy paying for gas. I stepped over to the main register, to a clerk I'd never seen before. She must work the shift that ends at noon. Probably gets there about the time I'm going to bed. Man Owner saw me. He said,

"That soda is on the house. You don't have to pay today."

"Oh, you don't have to do that! I even brought in my correct change, just in case!"

"No, I want you to have it, for all the trouble. Because somebody doesn't know how to put in an order right!" He motioned to my cup, and told the unknown clerk, "Don't charge her for the soda today."

Unknown Clerk looked confused, but she took the price of my beverage off the register. I made a little small talk with Man Owner, and practically skipped with delight as I made my exit, clutching three scratchers and a FREE 44 oz Diet Coke.

Oh, yeah. I had a winner. It was $15. Thanks, Even Steven.

4 comments:

River said...

FREE! I like that Man Owner, he knows how to treat a good, repeat customer when there's been an inconvenience. Yay for $15 too.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, the best service is always at The Gas Station Chicken Store.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have been known to kiss the butt of a good customer! Good business practice.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I know, right? A good customer is a known quantity. Gotta keep reelin' 'em in!