Sunday, May 19, 2019

Things That Creep In The Night And Daylight

My little Jack spent most of Friday night barking his fool head off. He has a shrill bark, like a little yippy dog might have. Farmer H was home from the auction, kicked back in his La-Z-Boy. I couldn't believe he wasn't investigating. After all, he'd just told me before he left, "People are crazy these days. You need to keep this door locked while you're downstairs. I have a key. Even during the day, keep it locked." When he went out, he made a point of saying, "I'm leaving now. And locking the door!"

I admit that during the day, especially when Farmer H is around, I leave the kitchen door unlocked. I know I shouldn't. So with Jack raising a ruckus, I was shocked that Farmer H didn't at least open the door to take a look. Anybody could be over in the BARn field, carting off his valuables, without us knowing it. I sent him a text.

"Jack's going crazy! I hope no one is stealing."

"Ya I'll look it's a full moon probably nothing" [Farmer H's actual typing]

I heard the La-Z-Boy crank shut, and Farmer H stumping across the living room on his footless ankles. Heard the front door open. Heard Jack's barking more clearly. Then the return to the La-Z-Boy, and another text.

"He's barking at the whiperwills and frogs" [More actual Farmer H text]

"Or something you can't see..."

Saturday morning, I think I solved the mystery. I went out to the garage, and saw


Maybe you call it a box turtle. It's probably actually a terrapin. I just call it a turtle.

The dogs heard me, and came running from the front porch. They were so excited to see ME that they didn't seem to notice the turtle. Maybe he doesn't have much smell. Maybe the wind was blowing the other way. Juno was probably planning her next SNEEZE on my face. Finally, Jack turned his attention to the turtle.


As you can see, Jack is on alert. He didn't bark, though. Maybe because after 12 hours of it, he noticed that it wasn't working. Or maybe because he gets in trouble on the side porch for barking at the cat who hides under the wooden bench.

Anyhoo... Jack was a good boy, and the turtle was gone when I came home from town.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

The neighbors behind us had the audacity to set up a slip 'n slide in their back yard yesterday. Radar goes berserk whenever the hose or sprinkler is on. He barked and barked, wanting to play in the water.

He was quite disappointed when we dragged his butt into the house and away from the water-watching...

River said...

Where did the turtle/terrapin come from and why does he/she/it have orange spots on its legs? I've never seen one with orange spots. Perhaps that's what Jack was telling you. "Mum! Mum! Orange spots!"

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
How dare those people set up a slip 'n' slide just to taunt Radar! That was obviously their plan! I guess you showed them, stopping their barking serenade!

***
River,
I guess it's the one I've seen in the yard before. Most of them have some kind of spots, yellow or orange. I think Jack is mad that he can't open his tiny mouth far enough to nip at it. He's a nipper!