Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Madness Has Reached Hillmomba

Our sleepy little enclave has been puttering along, not a care in the world other than mailbox weirdos and would-be dognappers and truck runners-off-the-road and take-out-food swindlers. Yes, Hillmomba is an idyllic place to drop anchor.

In fact, the recently publicized frenzy to hoard toilet paper and bottled water and hand sanitizer had not reared its horrendous head in Hillmomba. Until Thursday.

Farmer H sent me a text at 9:50 p.m. Him in the La-Z-Boy, me in my dark basement lair.

"This Guy's Wife just posted that she did an order for walmart pickup and toilet paper was not available"

"Well, they are either rationing, or the people panicked after the Presidential address Wednesday. The shelves were full when I was there last Thursday. If you are scared, I will pick up some toilet paper in Country Mart tomorrow!"

"Not scared I can wash my butt in the shower"

"Heh, heh! Amazon won't sell some stuff because people are jacking up the price and reselling. Like hand sanitizer."

"Im sure it will sell high at auction"

"If she put that on Facebook, now 50 people will rush to buy it off the shelves everywhere."

"She put it on face book"

Friday morning, Farmer H called from his Storage Unit Store.

"My buddy said he was at Walmart, and the toilet paper shelves were empty! Also the sanitizer."

"See? They all read it from This Guy's Wife last night!"

I came out of Country Mart, and sent Farmer H a text while he was at the doctor.

"Plenty of toilet paper in Country Mart. They have signs that limit each person to 4 packages. You might want to tell your buddy. I didn't think to look at the hand sanitizer."

Thank the Gummi Mary, Farmer H did not bring up the SHOWER THING again!

7 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh, the shower image is sooo pleasant. If your PITA has to resort to that, I guess that means that every day you'll be stepping in...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Toilet paper. Of all things to hoard. I suppose there is plenty of Kleenex out there, that would do in a pinch. I would think you would want to stock up on non perishable food and fever reducers, laundry detergent and bleach and Lysol. But, that's just me. I now fall into the "elderly with preexisting conditions" category. I am content to stay home and away from possible carriers.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Just giving you something to daydream about when you get a lengthy vacation from school! Meh, stepping/sitting, one way or the other, he'd get me.

***
Kathy,
Farmer H also said, "There's plenty of old clothes to cut up for rags if we run out."

I always have a hoard of freezer food and pantry food. I'm sure the stuff that's only a year expired would still be good! I also have detergent, since I buy the big Tide Concentrate boxes normally. Farmer H has used up a lot of the bleach. I have bottled Diet Coke (probably stronger than the bleach) to save me from a trip to town if necessary.

River said...

Local supermarket Woolworths is limiting the number of packs of toilet paper people can buy, but that doesn't stop them putting it in their car then going back for more. Yesterday I went in for a box of tissues. NONE! Na no toilet paper or any other type of paper products. Lots of other things sold out too, rice, pasta, flour, hand sanitisers, soaps, and baby nappies, I saw a man wheeling a trolley stacked to overflowing with boxes of Huggies and he wasn't the only one. on the news tonight, it was announced that supermarkets will be designating a specific hour when only elderly and disabled are allowed to shop to ensure they get the supplies they need.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I read about some guy here who was selling hand sanitizer for $70! He got people mad, and they turned him in, so he started GIVING it away! Authorities say he's still not off the hook for price-gouging.

That's a great idea, the special hours. Even The Devil's Playground is cutting hours. 6 am to 11 pm, to allow stockers to work without people harassing them.

River said...

The special hour, 7am to 8am, didn't work out, only seniors and disabled were allowed in and had to show their concession or seniors cards. I got there about 7.20am and the entire paper stock was gone already. No TP, no paper towel, no tissues, no baby wipes either. I bought shampoo and conditioner and came home, completely forgetting to buy a newspaper.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That's a bum deal! Hopefully you will not perish without paper goods!