Tuesday, November 17, 2020

In Case You're Having A Vampire Problem

Sweet Gummi Mary! Look what I found in the produce section at Country Mart! I was wheeling my cart/walker along, heading for the bananas, when I saw a bin at the end of the tomato table.


HUGE jars of minced garlic! For $5. Sure, the jars themselves aren't huge, if you buy them full of mayonnaise, or pickles. But for minced garlic, they're HUGE! It's even the same brand I buy, in much smaller jars.

The usual size I find is tiny. The only comparison I can think of are the old tins of shoe polish my dad used to use. A little squatty jar. In fact, The Pony was astonished last week when he found the next larger size jar of minced garlic (not even expired!) when cleaning off a pantry shelf. It was about the size of a small jar of jelly.

Now this! With The Pony here, we could probably use up such a HUGE jar of minced garlic. I add it to pasta and sauce and chili and soup and chicken-and-noodle dishes. The Pony loves garlic. He slathers it on homemade garlic toast, and puts it in butter for applying to his filet mignon from the parking lot of Rural King.

We're not the kind of people who use the dried cloves of garlic in the net sleeve, seen behind this bin. But we might use a HUGE jar of minced garlic, and even dab it behind our ears if we sense a possible invasion of vampires...

4 comments:

River said...

My two youngest children buy garlic in that size jar, if that size is 1kg, I can't quite make it out on the label there. They use about four of these a year. I'd use about one a year if I cooked as much as I used to, but with only me to feed, I cook a lot less.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It says 32 ounces, which is .91 kilograms. So yeah, that's about the size. I don't think I could use 4 jars a year, even with The Pony here to help!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Back in the day of cooking for 5 children I bought everything in huge sizes and would wonder why you would pay more for less in those tiny containers. I know why now. It will spoil before you use it and the waste is not worth it. I guess older and wiser?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, sometimes by saving, you actually lose.

In the opposite manner, I refuse to buy those little bottles of Diet Coke. Sometimes that's all I want, but they COST MORE. I have to tell myself that it's actually a better bargain if I pour out a third of the 20 oz bottle, rather than pay more and use the whole 8 oz bottle.