Friday, April 7, 2023

Mrs. HM Was Almost Killed With Kindness

I'm not trying to discourage people from doing good deeds. I just want them to do good deeds within reason! So the good deed does not become a burden. Like that neighbor who kindly hauled our trash dumpster back to the Mansion, necessitating us to find a way to get it back to the end of the driveway.

The Veteran did a good deed on Thursday. He accompanied Farmer H to his follow-up surgeon appointment. Farmer H did not NEED any help this time. He drove himself last week when he was in considerable pain, and using a walker. This trip was easier, since his pain was less, and he only took a cane.

Anyhoo... Farmer H said he planned to leave home at 9:45 for his 11:00 appointment.

"I hope The Veteran doesn't come early. I don't feel like entertaining people before I've even gone to bed."

"He won't get here early."

"Sure. I bet he's here by 9:00, and I have to sit around and talk to him while you get ready."

I said that, because when The Pony and The Veteran were driving Farmer H to his surgery, The Veteran got here a half hour early.

Anyhoo... Farmer H wanted me to wake him at 7:00. He went to take his shower, so I could put the betadine on his back scar. Then he started getting dressed while sitting in his recliner.

Around 8:00, the dogs started barking their fool heads off. It was the STRANGER bark. Copper Jack was especially fierce, with my little Jack joining in with his yips.

"I hope that's not The Veteran already. It's way too early."

"That's not him, HM. It's only 8:00."

Farmer H's phone buzzed with a text. He picked it up mid-pants.

"That's him. Saying he's here."

"CRAP! I'm not sitting here talking for an hour and 45 minutes! I'm going to bed!"

And I did. That's pushing the envelope, showing up that time of morning, almost two hours early. I appreciate him accompanying Farmer H. But let's be reasonable. 

6 comments:

River said...

I'm guessing you and the Veteran don't have a lot in common so chatting isn't easy? I have the same trouble but most of my family never show up to visit since they live so far away.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It's the TIMING! We have enough to chat about. I've known him since he was 5 years old. But I'm not very talkative when it's my bedtime at 8:00-9:00 a.m. Afternoon, which is MY morning, would be much better. I don't care much for visitors in general, but I have no issues with The Veteran, other than encroaching on my sleep time.

River said...

Much better than me then. I run out of "chat" right after "Hi how are you?" even with family. I'm more of a listener.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We can always reminisce about childhood incidents, and things Farmer H did. That's good for a chuckle.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have no qualms about removing myself from a family reunion when I need to sleep. It's family, they should understand!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
They need to understand that their timing is sometimes an issue!