You may recall my dislike for charity-seekers setting up outside of businesses I frequent. They rub me the wrong way. Just last week, I drove off the Casey's parking lot because a middle-aged man had set up a table and a shade tent on the sidewalk between the handicap parking space and the door. Nope! I'm not going to try and walk a tightrope along the edge of the sidewalk to get around him. And I can't just step down and back up with these old complainy knees.
I've donated a dollar to the old man collecting for the Knights of Columbus Tootsie Roll drive for people with intellectual disabilities. But only because he was sitting up against the front wall of the Gas Station Chicken Store, and wasn't pushy. I didn't even take his Tootsie Roll!
I ignore the table of unknown merchandise with three beggars that is often on the far side of the Sis-Town Casey's door. They call after my back as I leave, but I just say, "Not today." I have no idea what they are collecting for. I was particularly annoyed with young baseball players and their moms, taking up the entire sidewalk in front of the Sis-Town Save A Lot, asking for donations to fund a trip to the state tournament. AND I was not pleased the day I saw a tweenager hanging around the front of the Liquor Store selling stuff. That is not an appropriate place for her!
Anyhoo... I must have been addled by the heat on Friday evening. It was SO HOT. I only wanted to dash into 10Box to the lottery machine. I got one of the handicap spaces nearest the door, on the left side. Between me and that door was a young black dude with a TV tray set up. I couldn't tell what was on it, but it was stacked neatly. He was maybe late teens, looking hopeful, but not accosting people as they walked by. I figured I might see what he had, but on the way out, because I wouldn't want to carry anything while scanning in my winners at the lottery machine.
As I left the store, a chubby bald 40-something man was talking to The Dude. It gave me time to pause and look at the sign. It said something about "Young Enterprisers" or something similar. It made me think of the movie Risky Business, where Tom Cruise was working on a project for Future Enterprisers.
Anyhoo... after the man bought something, I stepped up and said, "What have we got?"
The Dude described his three items, holding up one of each as he did. "I have Chocolate Turtles for $20, and Caramel Apple Candy for $20, and Cookies for $10."
"Oh. I've never seen that Caramel Apple Candy. But my husband would really like the Turtles. I know that for sure. I'll take one of those." I handed him a twenty (from my lottery money!), and he thanked me.
We called them Turtles, because that's the common candy like this which contains pecans rather than cashews.
I don't mind donating to people who are making an effort, not just socializing then pouncing on each person who walks by. The Dude had his merchandise in order. It was like school fundraiser candy. You know it's not worth the price, but I'd always buy something from any kid who came up to ask me. I'm sure The Dude had the store's permission to set up there. They used to have weekends where they'd host a group to carry out bags for tips. I'm pretty sure it was this organization.
I don't begrudge giving The Dude my lottery money. But I made sure Farmer H knew I bought him that candy out of MY money, heh, heh. Farmer H loved the candy. Despite it being in the heat, it was just fine when Farmer H opened it a couple hours after I brought it in the Mansion.


2 comments:
Love turtles. We occasionally get a turtle sundae at Culvers. Not quite a turtle but delicious, none the less. Ranee
Rae,
Ooh! That sounds delicious. We have a Culver's over in Bill-Paying Town. I haven't been there in 10 years! Not since my mom died. We used to drive through and get ice cream. I'd have the concrete with chocolate custard and brownie bits, and Mom would have a small chocolate cone.
Post a Comment