Monday, September 26, 2011

Please Release Me Let Me Go

You know how you get a song stuck in your head? And you can't get rid of it? But you don't know all the words, so you are stuck repeating the same phrase over and over?

Every rose has its thorn. Just like every night has its dawn. Just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song. Every rose has its thorn.

Yeah. That's the latest one. I had to download it on Zune. Because the #1 son pays for free unlimited downloads. Go figure. But that has not helped me learn all the lyrics. And I'm still kind of upset with Bret Michaels for his Celebrity Apprentice performance.

Prior to that thorny issue, the song stuck in my head was one that The Pony and I heard on the Sirius XM 60s station on the way to school. We heard it at least twice a week, at the same time every morning. I don't know the name, but its a dude with an Irish accent.

You got your green alligators, your long-neck geese, your humpty-back camels and your chimpanzees...blah blah blah...you're never gonna see no unicorn.

But the cake-taker for earwigitis is Ms Tanya Tucker. For over a week, I woke up with her lyrics running through my brain.

There's a tree, out in the back yard...that never has been broken by the wind.


That's it. That's the extent of the lyrics. Every morning, I got up humming that part. Over and over. Until one morning, the song on the radio alarm was none other than: Strong Enough to Bend. By Ms Tanya Tucker.

It released me from my torment.

2 comments:

msj09027 said...

That the Unicorn Song by the Irish Rovers. My dad played that album every St. Patrick's Day as I was growing up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EPsuOEH1fY

Hillbilly Mom said...

msj,
I'll pass that link on to my son. He loves that song. He was singing it this morning on the way out the door.