Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Work Day Is A Lot Of Work

We let the students out early today so we could be trained at a teacher inservice meeting. I was fortunate, in that I did not have to learn anything. Yet. That fell to the English and Math faculty this time. They had a guest speaker from the state, explaining Common Core Standards, soon to take the place of our previously touted GLEs (Grade Level Expectations) and CLEs (Course Level Expectations). Because, you know, it is imperative that students learn these very important concepts and that is what we should strive for so they will have a good showing on a 35-question multiple choice test. Yes. This knowledge is vital. Until it's not. And then we switch horses midstream and chase a different rainbow.

I spent my afternoon learning how to update my teacher web page. Which is already current. So I added a new article to it. Which was not so easy, because the cronies on either side of me were cuttin' up and hee-hawing and adding a personal photo that the computer nanny declared as pr0n, which set them off again.

The good news is, we got to leave ten minutes early. We made good use of this time by standing outside the room where the English and Math mavens were being hand-fed knowledge. It was a bittersweet taunting, because they would not even look at us. It might have been because they were busy gnawing the epithelial cells right off their own cheeks in an effort to avoid Rip-Van-Winkling while under state supervision.

I can't believe I was actually looking forward to this inservice.

No comments: