Saturday, October 8, 2011

Peggy Can't Fool Me

The phone rang Friday night at 6:20. It was my insurance prescription drug coverer, wanting to chat with me about ways to save me money. Yeah. That'll be the day. Those prescription drug coverage companies are all about saving the customer money. Uh huh. Like how they won't cover one prescription that can not be a generic, because I had a reaction to the generic, and they expect me to pay the full price of $57. Funny how my secondary insurance prescription drug coverer, through Farmer H's work, accepts that drug, leaving me a cost of $17.

To add insult to my perceived injury, IPDC (that's Insurance Prescription Drug Coverer, because it has become a bit tedious to type), did not even have the courtesy to provide me with a real live person to slam the phone down on. They sent me an automated call. And it requested that I give THEM a call Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. That is SO not going to happen.

What person in their right mind would take time out of a busy work day to voluntarily chat with an IPDC about their agenda? Not this ol' Hillbilly. I would no doubt get a chubby, hirsute man with a heavy accent, who goes by the name of "Peggy." I do not want to bandy words over generics and ordering a three-month supply. Because people who live a mile up a gravel road with a mailbox down on the county road do not want to tempt fate and meth-heads by having three months worth of drugs sitting in a row of handy drive-up drug dispensers. Besides, that three-month prescription costs the same as two-and-a-half months, and you're not really saving if the doctor decides to switch meds, or the shipment is late and you have to buy a month's worth on your own.

Pigs will be flying over the cold, frozen wasteland of Heck on the day an IPDC provides you with a plan to save YOU money.

4 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

People here in Australia who complain about cost of medications ought to read your post here. Doctors will write a prescription for a medication, the patient takes it to the pharmacy, and then the pharmacist asks if you want the Pharmacy brand medicine or the generic brand. Most commonly used medications are covered by this choice, that is, the choice of the patient to go generic or not. To have to deal with companies like the one you have to would, as I can see, infuriate a person... and, that has got to be bad for people suffering hypertension!
Unfortunately, we are not immune to those calls that are automated, asking us to call the company back. Yeah, fine... fine for people who have nothing better to do with their day :(

Hillbilly Mom said...

Cazzie,
At least I can take the generic hypertension meds!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have no insuance at the moment, but I still get calls from those who are quite sure they can save me money. They can't. I am of the opinion that drugs would cost less if they would not spend so much money on advertising. I am making a simple statement on something that is much more complicated ...... tax write-offs and such.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Those dang Lunesta commercials must cost a fortune!