Friday, April 13, 2012

Something Lost In Translation

"Kids. Can't live with 'em. Can't eat without 'em." I'd love to take credit for that quote. But it came from my old work friend, a fourth-grade teacher.

Every day, I hear the most unique things out of the mouths of students. Kids say the darnedest things! Yeah. I can't take credit for that one, either.

Today, my classes calculated speed in centimeters per second. They did this by lining up dominoes and toppling them. As you might imagine, fourteen-year-olds do not have the steadiest of hands. Especially those who have Mountain Dew and chocolate eggs for breakfast. After a myriad of, "Oops!" and, "Sorry. My bad." followed by the tinkling of unstoppable domino cascades, I heard today's notable quote.

"I'm going to beat you with my red-headed stepchild!"

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yesterday we were practicing our ability to answer questions with contextual details. We were reading a passage on the skeleton. The directions clearly said, "Use details from the passage to answer the questions."

The question was, "What parts of your body are stiff and firm and seem to have bone in them, but they do not?" That paragraph detailed various parts--the nose, the ears--and explained what cartilage is.

One of my quirky students used one of the details in the passage in his answer, but also put his own "spin" on things. His answer was "Ears and rump." I had to call my teammate and whisper it (since we need an hourly "comic relief" break); Holly replied, "But they're not always firm."

Yes, kids say the darnednest things...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I had a student who told me, in a question answer, the way to prevent STDs is to be monotonous.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Val--In a way, they might be right..