Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Bridge, By Any Other Name

My classes are in the midst of the great penny-holding paper-bridge competition.

Today we used an online tutorial to review stresses that can affect building materials. Then students drew numbers to be placed into groups. Each person received a single sheet of paper with which to construct a bridge capable of spanning an 8-inch gorge that is three inches deep. Groups had to choose their most effective paper penny-holder.

No additional materials are allowed. No tape, no glue, no paperclips, no staples, no chewing gum, no spit, no snot, no eye-boogies. Nada. Tomorrow, I will issue each group a fresh piece of paper to recreate a bridge for testing. You don't think I'd let them bring one in, do you? I'm not a world-class bridge inspector for nothing. In past years, I have discovered tape, extra paper, two pencils, and an entire wooden ruler inside pre-made bridges.

The paper bridge may take any form. Plank. Tube. Box. Pouch. Travois. Coffin. Canoe. Pieces may be cut off and used as underneath supports. Or rolled up and stuffed into a folded bridge deck. My super-secret design held the record of 247 pennies for three years. Then I was beaten by my own design. Today I only saw one student with a rudimentary replica of my chasm-spanner. I won't share it until the contest is over. Bonus points are at stake, people! I'm not revealing any clues.

Groups are allowed to choose names for their team. Because all results will be written on the board. To date, my most colorful name has been The Narcoleptic Otters. Today, several teams announced names early. We have the Penny Loafers. Pennysylvania. The first and last name of another faculty member. The Bridge. And The Vicious Hillbilly Moms.

I might need to rethink this naming business.


1 comment:

Sioux Roslawski said...

And what is the grand prize for the winner--a Simon and Garfinkle single?