Monday, July 22, 2013

Perhaps We Both Need Some Spiritual Training

I am not a fan of horror movies. I change the channel when a commercial comes on. Those old ones for The Grudge were especially disturbing. Lately, it's been The Conjuring. Can't watch, can't listen. The Pony likes the commercials, but I don't know if he would sit through the movie. He starts out watching the GhostHunter shows, and those similar, but switches off after fifteen or twenty minutes. We will both watch them in the daytime, but not so much at night. Could be because of the odd goings-on we have here at the Mansion. Of which we have been spared over the past few weeks.

Driving to town yesterday, The Pony declared from the back seat, "Now THAT was creepy!"

"What? It's broad daylight. Residential neighborhood. What's creepy?"

"Back there. Did you see that? It was a white statue in a hollow under a bush!"

"I think you're probably referring to the Virgin Mary. Go over to the next county. Most of the yards have her out front."

"But this one was in a bush. At first I thought it was a garden gnome. But that was no garden gnome! It was creepy!"

"It is frowned upon to refer to the Virgin Mary as creepy."

"It is also frowned upon to eat her legs."

"That wasn't me! That was that kid. The one who put the Gummi Bears in the microwave. And even HE said he hated to eat her. He only ate up to her waste. Then he dumped her in the wastebasket."

"Still. It's worse than calling her creepy."

The logic of the Gummi Mary, espoused by The Pony.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Oh Jeezle! How far back does your blog go? I saw the year 2006 and shuddered...Must I go back through years and years of posts, to make sure there are no chuckles left unharvested?

The only garden gnomes I am crazy about are the ones in the movie "The Full Monty." The rest of 'em don't even get a passing glance from me...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well, Madam, this ol' blog goes back to May 2005, when it was called Redneck Review for the first year, before converting to Hillbilly Mansion. I believe there are Hillbilly Mansion Two, Three, and Four editions. I lost track. I think I have links down in the sidebar. The chuckles have been laying fallow for a while now. I am amazed at how witty I once was.

I am not familiar with any Monty of gnomes, full or otherwise. That part of my noggin is encrusted with Seinfeld episodes.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Aaah, it's a British movie you should make sure to see. (You could even watch it with your sons, there's nothing too risqué, although it's probably not the kind of movie they would like). It is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. There are a few parts where they are speaking so quickly and the English accent is so strong, you can't understand what they're saying, but it doesn't impact on your understanding what is going on.

Some old men, some scrawny men, some out-of-shape men, some pasty white men...decide they are going to do a strip show--the full monty--on just one night, to make some money.

Check it out. I think you would enjoy it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
My boys refuse to watch High School Musical, and the Twilight series, and #1 would not take his girlfriend to see The Heat. So I agree that it's unlikely they would watch a movie about old men stripping. Even with their loving mother.