Thursday, February 15, 2018

The Unfortunate Salarva Faux Pas

Did you ever have one of those days when everything is kind of off? That you drop anything you try to pick up, and that it lands in the most inopportune position?

Yeah. Yesterday I kind of had one of those days. FRIG II's freezer is kickin' my butt. EVERY time I get ice, a cube gets loose. No matter how close or far I hold my cup, a cube escapes. Sometimes it even goes IN the cup, and bounces back out. ALWAYS. And yesterday, every time it happened, a piece managed to break off, and even though I picked up the main crescent-shaped cube to toss in the sink...the fragment camouflaged itself on the linoleum, so that I stepped on it with my sock foot. Which hurt. And made the fragment freeze to the sock so I had to pry it off, or walk around saying, "OWWWW!" until it melted and left a wet spot on the bottom of my sock. Believe me. I had plenty of opportunities to try both solutions.

It reminded me of another such day last week.

I'd escaped the shenanigans of FRIG II's freezer with only a single ice cube to find and pick up. Once I got to my dark basement lair (most recently with illumination due to upstairs mystery thumping), I leaned over to turn on my underdesk heater. Something dropped onto my rectangular metal lunch tray.

I carry that tray down to the lair every day. It holds a paper plate with my lunch pinwheels. Also an individual bag of chips, usually Barbecue or Sour Cream and Cheddar. And a ramekin of green olives. I really like them with my pinwheels.

What in the world could that be, dropping onto my rectangular metal lunch tray? A spider? It's happened before down in the lair. One just rappelled down from the ceiling like a paratrooper from a helicopter. Of course, that one broke its web and exploded into a million baby spiders on my woofer speaker box. Let's not think about that now, though! Maybe it was just one of those little flying bugs that sometimes appear out of nowhere. Tiny. Gray. Kind of spotted like a ladybug, but as small as the head of a pin.

Nope. Whatever dropped onto my rectangular metal lunch tray was not moving. OH NO! It was SALARVA! From my own mouth! How does that even happen? I had inadvertently drooled onto my rectangular metal lunch tray! Oh, I know it's called saliva. But way back, when I was still teaching the at-risk kids over in an upstairs classroom (that used to be my best ol' ex-teaching buddy Mabel's storeroom) at Lower Basementia...one of the kids called saliva by the name salarva. So it was a thing with me and the boys. Salarva.

But that's not the worst part. Not only was I drooling without knowing it. Even worse was yet to come. I was laying out my evening meds. An aspirin. An ibuprofen. An acetaminophen. I always take the aspirin, and depending on the day, one of the other two. I was replacing the acetaminophen that I'd used up the day before. I always lay them over by the phone on my desk, so I know if I've taken them or forgotten.

The aspirin comes out of its own bottle. The other two come out of a big Pepcid bottle, though it's actually The Devil's Playground brand of Equate. I keep a stash of them down in my lair, and I don't need a whole slew of bottles taking up my counter space. Anyhoo...as I shook out the pills, a small round brown ibuprofen, a long white acetaminophen, a fat round pink Equate antacid...I had difficulty sorting the different sizes and shapes through the mouth of the bottle. I grabbed a long white acetaminophen and pulled it from the lip of the bottle, laying it on my rectangular metal tray.

You know where it landed, right?

On the drop of salarva, which I knew would start digesting it immediately. That's what salarva does. It has an enzyme, by cracky. I grabbed that acetaminophen and wiped it on my old raggedy baby blue sweatshirt. Not that the cost of one destroyed acetaminophen would hurt my bankbook. Nor the wiped salarva hurt my old raggedy baby blue sweatshirt.

It's just the principle.

4 comments:

River said...

The ice problem? You need a bigger cup, probably an ice bucket. The salarva, I can't help you with, apart from saying maybe you should shake out those tabs on a different surface.
I have a whole new pill routine myself as of today. After a lifetime of being normal, whatever that is, suddenly my blood pressure is sky high and I have some teeny, tiny pills to get it down. I'm told I can expect to be dizzy and lightheaded as the body adjusts to the new lower pressure. Oh what fun (*~*)

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
FRIG II's ice maker has it out for me! No matter what size I use, a cube hits the floor. I could use a cup the size of Poolio, and it would still happen.

Tonight I was putting the lid on my cup, having already filled it with ice from the door lever. I'd also opened up the freezer door to grab a couple of cubes from inside, near the part that makes the ice. They were laying on a ledge behind the holding tray. I had my back to FRIG II. I was two feet away. Not touching FRIG II. And TWO cubes fell out of the bottom of the holding tray, through the hole that would connect to the door dispenser.

HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN?

Scuttlebutt from the Semi Weekly Meetings of the Newmentia Lunch Time Think Tank was that EVERYBODY gets put on the blood pressure meds as they age. You really should feel better after you adjust to them. I used to get a headache every afternoon, but they stopped after I started the meds. The regular afternoon headaches, that is.

Don't stand up too fast! The room might spin or go black! You don't want to faint. You'll get accustomed to the meds, and that won't happen.

River said...

I've decided to take each teeny tiny tablet at night instead of the morning, then if I get dizzy I can just go to bed, no worries about falling over when I'm lying down. I can feel the difference after just one tablet, I can't hear my heart thumping through my ears like I have been for several months now. I can always feel the beat of it, but not as strong as the past few months. I know many people here into their 80s who don't take blood pressure meds, lucky them. I met an 83 year old yesterday who lives near a golf course and she walks around that golf course four times, twice a day. Puts me to shame, I can barely get around the block.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't think it matters when you take it. The doctor said it might make me get up all night for the bathroom it I took it at night. But I do that anyway now!