Friday, August 30, 2019

GrandPaddy Wrong, Negs

Farmer H left the TV on one of his channels after lunch. During a commercial break from Gunsmoke, my attention was grabbed by a device for old people.

First of all, let the record show that I used to make fun of those kinds of commercials when the boys were school age, and I was all with-it and happenin'.  Like the one for the Jitterbug phone, which I thought looked like a toilet, and had big numbers, and was a not-smart phone that only made and received calls.

I also secretly shared in Genius's dismay that my own mother still had her original cell phone, a Nokia that wasn't even a flip phone. Just a BRICK, as Genius called it. Well. Little did I anticipate feeling her emotions when smart phones became all the rage. So hard to call and answer while driving. How I longed for my flip phone with the buttons I could feel, not needing to take my eyes off the road or pull over to use it.

Anyhoo, there I was, kicked back in the La-Z-Boy, watching a commercial for the GrandPad! Which is apparently a tablet thingy, but I just see it as a big screen to make calls on, because I don't know a tablet from a notebook from a hole in the ground.

Anyhoo, apparently old people represented by actors in a commercial go gaga for the GrandPad. Here's a link to a video of the commercial. Apparently, it comes from Consumer Cellular, and costs $40 a month. Comes already set up, and all you have to do is turn it on. No unknown callers can access it, only your family members. There's no wifi or network, so no chance of hacking. Yet you can video chat with family, and they can send you pictures. Isn't that just peachy?

Here's the thing:

I DON'T THINK I COULD WORK ONE!

I'm too much of a technidiot to operate a device designed specifically with ME in mind! How can those actory people in the commercial, who look way older than I consider myself, be more tech savvy than me?

I'm not buyin' it. Not literally, not figuratively.

2 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I'm sure Genius could give you some remote lessons, and talk you through it.

(By the way, Krispy Kremes--the plain glazed ones--are the ONLY doughnuts that were irresistible to me. That is, until the die-a-betes diagnosis this summer. There must be crack in those doughnuts.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Genius would be quite disdainful in his help. He's like the SNL company computer guy. He's too busy right now, preparing for his fifth and final interview with the OOBER company. He's flying to Pittsburgh on Thursday. I advised him not to fly in a pilotless plane.

I don't know of any sugar-free donuts, but I get Farmer H delicious sugar-free candy at The Devil's Playground. Which he eats in the evening, with ICE CREAM that is not sugar-free.

I guess I'm not a crack addict, because those Krispy Kremes don't appeal to me. Now those mini six-packs of crumb-covered donuts, yeah. I find them delectable.